457 to 186 Transition Nomination Advice

dingdong

Hi all

Just looking for some advice on the 186 nomination process.

My partner has been sponsored by his employer (457) for over two years now an we'd like to apply for PR as soon as possible, as I know we are in for a long application process.

He was the first employee the company nominated for sponsorship...followed by a few more... and they have never nominated anyone for the 186 visa before.

When the company first registered to become an approved employer for 457 nominations, would this have only covered nominations for 457 visas? Meaning, will they have to apply again to become an approved employer to nominate us for a 186 visa?

The 457 application was done through a migration agent last time but it was so expensive, we're going to try and go it alone as most people I know have. I'm just not sure what the company has to do in order to apply to be an approved employer for 186 nominations - the other people I know in the same position are working for companies who have nominated employees in the past.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Hi all

Just looking for some advice on the 186 nomination process.

My partner has been sponsored by his employer (457) for over two years now an we'd like to apply for PR as soon as possible, as I know we are in for a long application process.

3 to 4 month if done properly.

He was the first employee the company nominated for sponsorship...followed by a few more... and they have never nominated anyone for the 186 visa before. When the company first registered to become an approved employer for 457 nominations, would this have only covered nominations for 457 visas?

Yes.

Meaning, will they have to apply again to become an approved employer to nominate us for a 186 visa?

Yes, they need to lodge a new nomination each time they want to nominate someone for a 186 visa.

The 457 application was done through a migration agent last time but it was so expensive, we're going to try and go it alone as most people I know have. I'm just not sure what the company has to do in order to apply to be an approved employer for 186 nominations - the other people I know in the same position are working for companies who have nominated employees in the past.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

The company needs to lodge a nomination application and you need to lodge a visa application. Depending on the company, the nomination application can be quite involved. Be mindful that if the nomination fails for any reason the visa application will be refused.

Ah thank you.

I wasn't sure if they had to apply to become an approved employer for nomination and THEN they had to nominate us, or if they just submit the nomination application.

Would I be right in thinking that once the nomination is approved, then we submit our own application?

We haven't been for medicals or started gathering Police checks yet as we were told the nomination process takes six months and wanted them to be as up-to-date as possible.

Ah thank you.

I wasn't sure if they had to apply to become an approved employer for nomination and THEN they had to nominate us, or if they just submit the nomination application.

There is no sponsorship application to become an approved employer for the employer nomination scheme. The nomination application under ENS is like the sponsorship and nomination for the 457.

Would I be right in thinking that once the nomination is approved, then we submit our own application?

You can submit the visa as soon as the nomination is lodged, however, if you do that and the nomination fails then the visa also fails. If you do it in stages (i.e. wait for the nomination to be approved before lodging the visa) the processing time will be between 6 to 8 months.

This is where an Agent can be very useful as they can assess the strength of the nomination and advise the risk of lodging the nomination and visa together. If the nomination and visa are lodged together the processing time is 3 to 4 months.

We haven't been for medicals or started gathering Police checks yet as we were told the nomination process takes six months and wanted them to be as up-to-date as possible.

As these are only valid for 12 months, you should wait until you know what you are doing. If you are going to wait for the nomination to be approved first then there is no point doing medicals and PCs yet.

That makes sense.

Would it be advantageous to maybe pay an Agent to handle the nomination side of things and we sort out our 186 application ourselves?

Just wondering if there would be much price difference in Agent's fees.

Archived