DipHe Adult Nursing on a Working Visa, is it possible?!

Guest sar74h

Guest sar74h

hello!!

Im currently in my last year of my Adult Nurse Diploma, and am due to qualify in February 09.

I wanted to work as a RN in australia (preferably Perth) on a part-time or casual basis on a working holiday visa giving me the extra time and the opportunity to discover australia a little, gaining some experience and earning money.

With a view to fly out in November 09; this gives me about 8 months to find a job and gain a little experience, although as the current job situation in the UK is bad this may not be possible.

I would be travelling with an 'un-skilled' friend, while she will have no problem getting a job from what i can gather,i was unsure of how my job situation would work out.

HAS ANYONE BEEN IN A SIMILAR SITUATION? OR ANYONE HAVE KNOWLEDGE ON THIS MATTER?

(i have tried to read up this but piecing together all the fragmants are little bit of a bugger to be honet!!)

SARAH xx:unsure:

The problem that I could see is that here in Aus there isn't a centralised registration base as there is in the UK where all nurses are registered with the NMC. Here, you have to obtain a licence to practice on for every state - it would therefore cost you alot of money if you wanted to tour Australia as you would have to register with Queensland, SA, NSW etc.) - You would only be able to apply for this once you are qualified. I know alot of hospitals run graduate programmes for newly qualified nurses which offers a preceptorship too - if you worked for an agency for example you could literally work in a different hospital every day. It may be worth you contacting a couple of agencies to see if they take on people who are on working holiday visa's, but as I say - this may prove expensive for you to register with every state you intend to visit as you will need a licence to practise in every state.

All the best

Ali

• 2 months later...
Guest guest12791
hello!!

Im currently in my last year of my Adult Nurse Diploma, and am due to qualify in February 09.

I wanted to work as a RN in australia (preferably Perth) on a part-time or casual basis on a working holiday visa giving me the extra time and the opportunity to discover australia a little, gaining some experience and earning money.

With a view to fly out in November 09; this gives me about 8 months to find a job and gain a little experience, although as the current job situation in the UK is bad this may not be possible.

I would be travelling with an 'un-skilled' friend, while she will have no problem getting a job from what i can gather,i was unsure of how my job situation would work out.

HAS ANYONE BEEN IN A SIMILAR SITUATION? OR ANYONE HAVE KNOWLEDGE ON THIS MATTER?

(i have tried to read up this but piecing together all the fragmants are little bit of a bugger to be honet!!)

SARAH xx:unsure:

Hello there, first of all well done with getting through your first two years of nursing at university. In australia they do have a graduate nursing programm but you do have to apply well in advance for a place. In order to registered with the nursing council depending on where you decide to apply as a graduate? you first of all will need your british NMC pin number and nursing transcripts from university showing grades and results from each assignment and exam undertaken over the three year period. When you register with a state say for example New South Wales nursing council you pay an annual fee of around 180 dollars, if you move to another state you can pay a transfer fee to the other nursing council which costs around 80 dollars. As a graduate i think you should take a year to settle somewhere or at least six months to obtain your skills and competencies, IV drugs, cannulation etc all of which are usually undertaken on your preceptorship period.

You will be alright as staff are approachable and supportive to anyone newly qualified. Good luck

Annemarie

Archived