The Garden Of England

Kentish Man

Born in Margate for my sins ha ha. Have family in Herne Bay Folkestone and Canterbury. Love kent though. Some of the prettiest villages and scenery. Will always hold a place in my heart, will live there again one day.....

Born in Margate for my sins ha ha. Have family in Herne Bay Folkestone and Canterbury. Love kent though. Some of the prettiest villages and scenery. Will always hold a place in my heart, will live there again one day.....

Likewise Bolt4, also born in Margate. Remember when I was a nipper a few years ago now :( before moving to Maidstone, spending most of the school hols hanging around Dreamland. Good old days when we only went home if it was dark or we was hungry

Ha ha Dreamland, then Bemboms and then back to Dreamland. My brother was telling me the other day that they're revamping it all and reopening it back up, apparently the scenic railway has got a preservation order on it so they couldn't sell the land. There's been a couple of fires there too, with a lot of rumours flying about that the owners were trying to burn it down so they could sell it off! I grew up in Broadstairs so going to Dreamland was a big treat for me, spent a lot of summers on Viking Bay, and as you say, you only went home when you were hungry or it got dark lol. Did you ever go to the pleasure boat park over at peg well in Ramsgate? They had a monkey sanctuary there, and the model village. Ooh it's making me all misty eyed!

I heard also about the fire and apparently the owner also has a couple of other building that burnt down... Such bad luck he has lol

I do remember the model village in Ramsgate, right at the top of the hill that looked down onto the harbour which always seemed to have green water in it. This is really showing my age now but I was very young, but talking of Broadstairs I remember being in a proper ice cream parlour there the ones with the wicker chairs etc and you could get banana splits and knicker bocker glories and the Bee Gees Tragedy came on the juke duke box that they had in there :)

What school dod you go to? I went to St. Gregory's

That ice cream parlor is Morellis! It's still there! My sister worked there about ten years ago. I went to Upton primary, then Charles Dickens, but only for a few months cos we moved to Wales, but I moved back for four years when I was 22 before moving to Aus. You must be around the same age as me then if you went to Morellis when you were a kid... I've just turned 40. Me and my friends used to hang about at piermont park in broadstairs and I was in broadstairs carnival a few times in the majorettes lol but I was crap at the button twirling so they had me carrying the flag at the back ha ha. Batton twirling not button ha.

That ice cream parlor is Morellis! It's still there! My sister worked there about ten years ago. I went to Upton primary, then Charles Dickens, but only for a few months cos we moved to Wales, but I moved back for four years when I was 22 before moving to Aus. You must be around the same age as me then if you went to Morellis when you were a kid... I've just turned 40. Me and my friends used to hang about at piermont park in broadstairs and I was in broadstairs carnival a few times in the majorettes lol but I was crap at the button twirling so they had me carrying the flag at the back ha ha. Batton twirling not button ha.

You was bad because you was twirling buttons lol

Thanks Bolt for your memories. I'll pm soon for some more :) Mark

Lived in Lewes, Sussex with odd foray into Tunbridge Wells for shopping, Kent for NT properties.. Beautiful part of the world! Population density in Brisbane seems high to me due to amount of high rises/town house/apartment developments springing up. In the burbs it seems that old Queenslanders being demolished to be replaced with high density accomodation. Sad, but inevitable I guess

Archived