visa confusion

carolash

Hi everyone...thanks for the add to admin, I am sure a lot of my question will get answered on here *phew*

My husband and I both turn 55 at the end of the year and are both British but currently reside in Cyprus (have been for the past 5 years.

Due to the new pension rules we are able to access pension funds at the end of the year. We are wanting to make a move to Australia as my eldest daughter lives there (has been for 4 years), Youngest daughter lives and works in AbuDhabi. My husband is not their biological father. I also have a younger brother that has lived in Sydney for 20 years and also have cousins etc that are born Australians.

What is our best visa option (we are looking at 143 but there may be another option, we will be self sufficient so no need (or wish) to work?.

How long does it take to get a visa?

What are the costs involved?

I hope someone here will be able to help with some info. We were thinking of coming over with a e600 then lodging application while there BUT maybe more sensible to do from outside. However as we will be bringing our pet dog with we don't want to come over for 3 months then have to leave due to visa delays.

Any thoughts or advise on this??

Parent contribuitory visa will need to be applied for offshore, and the processing time is 18-24 months. You will not be able to travel on a visitors visa and apply onshore.

All children and step children are counted for the family balance test, your older daughter will need to be a PR or citizen to be eligible to sponsor for the CPV. cowts for th CPV will be around $100,000AUD.

Does your husband have any children from previous marriages? If so, you may have a problem meeting the Balance of Family test as all children whether they live with you or not are taken into account. If your elder daughter is an Australian citizen or PR and if your other daughter is the only other child of either partner, you're OK as far as the BoF test is concerned.

You are both too young to be eligible for an onshore Parent visa of any kind - one of you must be of Australian pension age(65+) to be eligible. A Contributory Parent (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 143) is therefore only viable option - it's possible to start with a temporary Parent visa to spread the cost over a few years but if you have the money, a 143 from the outset is the way to go. At current rates, a 143 will cost $91905 plus a 10 year Assurance of Support bond of $14000 and can be expected to take 12-24 months depending on your circumstances.

As applicants for a Parent visa, you will be able to get 5 year subclass 600 Visitor visas which will allow a stay of up to 12 months in any 18 month period but it sounds like that may not be practical because of your dog. Bit unfair to drag him from one side of the world to the other more than once. Also, keep in mind that from the middle of October, the only Australian quarantine station will be in Victoria.

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

The wife and I are seriously thinking of moving to Oz to live with or at least near to our daughter. She's been there almost three years and is waiting for her PR to come through in the next 12 months or so. we're investigating just now as we don't expect to be buying flights for the 2 years (and that's amusing we get in). We think the best way will be a CPV, and know the costs involved however, we will be 52 and 51 when we plan to move, so because we are not at retirement age, my question is, will I be able to work when and if we get there on a CPV??

Don't get me wrong, I have no desire to work full time however, I'm no millionaire, so paying the CPV, the bond, moving the dogs etc. etc will not exactly leave us feeling financially secure and as we are not at retirement age and don't want to rely on our daughter I would probably want to work at least part time. I'm a joiner by trade and on both of our last two visits, I have made contacts who have said they would happily give me work if I/we landed.

Plus my daughter and her fiancée (whilst both have good jobs) are also setting up their own business which would require someone of my background, so why not me.

Any thoughts or info would be welcome.

Many thanks in advance

Bry

Hi all,

The wife and I are seriously thinking of moving to Oz to live with or at least near to our daughter. She's been there almost three years and is waiting for her PR to come through in the next 12 months or so. we're investigating just now as we don't expect to be buying flights for the 2 years (and that's amusing we get in). We think the best way will be a CPV, and know the costs involved however, we will be 52 and 51 when we plan to move, so because we are not at retirement age, my question is, will I be able to work when and if we get there on a CPV??

Don't get me wrong, I have no desire to work full time however, I'm no millionaire, so paying the CPV, the bond, moving the dogs etc. etc will not exactly leave us feeling financially secure and as we are not at retirement age and don't want to rely on our daughter I would probably want to work at least part time. I'm a joiner by trade and on both of our last two visits, I have made contacts who have said they would happily give me work if I/we landed.

Plus my daughter and her fiancée (whilst both have good jobs) are also setting up their own business which would require someone of my background, so why not me.

Any thoughts or info would be welcome.

Many thanks in advance

Bry

If you pass the balance of family test and have the funds why not. Yes you would be able to work on the CPV. You would just need to look into the timing of your application, obviously you cannot apply before she has PR. I am just not sure if she needs to have had PR for two years before you apply, or if the time on her temporary visa will count towards the "settled" period.

Archived