Would just like to say Hi, we've just got r visa's

Guest Lindt

Would like to say Hi :)

We've just got our visa's, got the passports exchanged, house up for sale and soon be on our way to Melbourne. Would love to chat to anyone in same situation, or anyone who recently moved to Melbourne.

Got lots of questions and have been reading lots of questions being answered with great comments and lots of advice.

Really excited and just need to be there. :D

Linda

We've just got our visa's, got the passports exchanged, house up for sale and soon be on our way to Melbourne. Would love to chat to anyone in same situation, or anyone who recently moved to Melbourne.

Got lots of questions and have been reading lots of questions being answered with great comments and lots of advice.

Linda

Hi Linda,

Just ask..either here or in the "Talk about Vic" section. Hapy to help.

Guest Missiemo

Linda

Hi Linda

A very big welcome to the site, we have been in Melbourne now for four months so still very new.

Hope the house sale goes through smoothly, you will be here sooner then you think.

PLease ask any questions, take care, Missiemo (The Brooks Family in Melbourne)

Guest Missiemo

Linda

Hi Linda

A very big welcome to the site, we have been in Melbourne now for four months so still very new.

Hope the house sale goes through smoothly, you will be here sooner then you think.

PLease ask any questions, take care, Missiemo (The Brooks Family in Melbourne)

:o Hi The Brooks family,

Thanks for replying, it was great to hear from someone. Wasn't sure how all this worked so hope you get this message as its all new to me. Anyway I'll tell you a little about my family. Husband got in on a skilled visa (sheet metal worker) so we know there is a demand for this job, we have two children, Sean 14 and Rachel 12 who are both so excited to get over there. I work in a school as a (Teaching assistant) not sure if you have them over there and if you do they may be called something different.

We originally hoped to be there by January 2007 giving us some time to settle in and look around Melbourne, reading the forum people give lots of great advice and lots of personal choice.

We spent three weeks last year around Australia, stopped off at Singapore, onto Perth, Cairns, Melbourne and Sydney, we were sad to leave, but soon as we got back we sent off for the papers and the rest is history, cant believe it's finally here.

Just need to know about schools, I've heard the secondary school age starts at 13 so our Sean should be ok, not sure about Rachel, might she have to go back to your primary school, she will be 13 in the August 2007

Do you have any family or friends over there? we dont so its all new for us. So we have no friends, family, home, school, job or car, well what the hell its only a few things we need, dont you think?

Did you bring all your electrical items over with you or did you buy new? The shipping agent advised us to take the washing machine, he said they are expensive over there. Is there a particular popular brand over there like (Indesit, Hoover, Bush)

who did you use for your shipping? Just had a quote from John Mason so going to get another quote from someone else.

Can you use playstations as well, sean is keen to know

Got lots more questions so will just let you tackle this lot first, maybe I'll scare you off with all the questions. Need to look into areas of Melbourne.

Anyway take care for now and I'll be in touch, Thanks again for takin the time to reply

Linda

The Taylor family

Hi the Taylor Family,

We arrived in Melbourne mid August (see my post ) and thought I would answer some of your questions.

Our shipment arrived on Tuesday ALL INTACT. It took about 2 1/2 weeks to clear through Customs). We used EXCESS INTERNATIONAL who provided us with a reasonable quote and apart from one slight hiccup in the beginning we cannot fault them. I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND THEM!

We bought the following electrical items:

DYSON HOOVER

PC, PRINTER and SHREDDER

4 TABLE LAMPS and 1 STANDARD LAMP

KENWOOD FOOD MIXER

MAGIMIX

(We also shipped our Dining room suite which I could not bear to leave behind). As I mentioned in my previous post - the majority of rented homes are unfurnished - you will need to think about what you want to bring.

We bought a WHIRLPOOL washing machine here and did NOT find it expensive (also a dryer and a fridge/freezer). We also bought a leather two seater settee in a local furniture shop for $350!!!

We are lucky that our daughter and grandsons live here so she was able to find us a unit to rent BEFORE we arrived.

Any questions please feel free to ask. What part of Melbourne are you thinking of moving to??

Guest The.Colebecks

Welcome to the site Linda and congratulation on your visas.

All the best with your move to Melbourne.

The Colebecks x

Can you use playstations as well, sean is keen to know

Linda

The Taylor family

yes. PLaystations are "digital" and work just fine. However most playstations are "regionalised" (a bit like DVDs) Brit playstations work with Brit games...Aussie Playststions with Aussie games... (unless you have had your playstation "Chipped", and which case it should work with anything....

So, in short... not "chipped", will work here with all his existing stuff but not necessarily with anything bought new when he gets here...

"Chipped" Playstations (either Brit or Aussie (here called "Modded")) should play just about anything.

So... get it chipped before you leave if you haven't already.

Just read your post Linda and wanted to say hi to you and your family. I'm afraid we are only at TRA stage so of no use in answering your questions!

My hubby is a sheetmetal worker so hoping it'll be easy enough for him to get a job, but he's 45 so we are applying with me as main applicant, if I get through TRA ok as a childcare co-ordinator.

We have two girls age 13 and 12 so I'm a little concerned that if/when it all happens next year it'll be hard going for them. They have been just as keen as us most days but the twelve year old has gone off the whole idea of Australia this week. Early days yet.

If it happens, we do plan to ship most things with us, I'll need whatever 'familiar' I can get!

Good luck with it all and I'll look forward to your posts to hear how you are getting on.

best wishes

Debbie

Guest Nathan & Mandie

Hi Taylor Family

Thanks for your PM I did reply, but not sure if anybody is receiving them.

Best Wishes

Mandie

• 3 months later...
Guest pippycol

hiya we are in similar situations, we had our visa granted on the 8th of jan and we are hoping to be in Brisbane area by august this year we have two teenage children 16 and 14 and we have got to sell our house and wait till our daughter has done her GCSE's

paula and col

Guest Missiemo

Linda

Hi Linda, Mo here, feel free to ask any questions, we have been here 9 months now so still very new, living about an hour from CBD, but five minutes from Beach, beautiful.

Take Care

Mo

Archived