UK Podiatrist

alancooper77

Hi all,

I'm a UK based Podiatrist wanting to make the move over to OZ, just wanting some infor about visa's I'M not sure if I'd be better with the 457 or applying for the 189. Can anyone give me average processing times for both of theses.

Many thanks :confused:

I would go for the 189, the 457 can be a bit risky and i would personally only use that visa if i had no other options.

Not sure on processing times at the moment but the 189 would probably take longer to get,although IMO its worth waiting for.

Cal x

If you can get a positive skills assessment from ANZPAC and 60 points on the points test, you should go for a 189.

http://www.anzpac.org.au/

A 189 will take around 4 weeks for skills assessment plus another 2 or 3 months for the visa application to be processed so usually only 4-5 months in total and at the end of the process, you're a Permanent Resident.

457s can sometimes be processed in only a couple of weeks, but if the sponsoring employer is not already an approved sponsor, the time taken for sponsorship approval then nomination approval plus the 457 visa processing time can be as long as the overall process for a 189 (sometimes longer if the employer doesn't have their act together) and all you get at the end of that time is a temporary visa. Plus of course, you need to find a sponsor in the first place.

Given that you need assessment of your qualifications by ANZPAC before you can register to practise as a Podiatrist in Australia on either visa, a 189 seems to be the obvious choice.

I think unless you're in a mad rush or you're pinching pennies and already have a sponsor, you should definitely go for the 189.

I'll qualify as a podiatrist in 2 yrs and i personally would consider the 457 (there are some good sponsors about for us) but only due to my circumstances having changed considerably of late.

Even then I would apply for a 189 once onshore as soon as the opportunity arose. This would not be cost effective in the long term but might just suit my needs in the short term.

best of luck and keep us updated, live seeing other pods on here!

Hi I'm quite open minded about location just want to get out of the Uk , been looking at Queensland and NSW

Good luck, you probably know the web site podiatry-arena.com, government jobs are the holy grail of course but in rural locations,

have a look for jobs there, my wife and I are heading back over later in the year, she wants to resume her pod career there...

Cheers

• 10 months later...

Working at a UK Health Trust as a podiatrist doing high risk.

Has anybody had any job offers from the EOI? Is the Visa 187 for remote places only or does it includes regional cities such as Adelaide, Perth, Geelong, Mackay, Wagga Wagga, Ballarat etc.

Essentially looking for a Visa that would get us to a regional family friendly city?

Archived