tourist visa 600 - how long?

Fisher1

Hi all

I'm due to travel to Aus in three weeks time to visit my daughter and her new baby. I had intended to get an E-visa this time but there's now a possibility that I may need to stay longer than three months so I am thinking of paying for a 600 tourist visa instead.

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how long it takes to get a 600 tourist visa? I don't want to be chewing my nails at the last minute when the three month E- visa will probably be plenty long enough

Thanks everyone :wink:

Guest Amelie

Hi Fisher,

According to the Visa Bureau, it takes approximately 20 days to process from the date it is applied for. You may need to provide additional documentation, which may delay the process:

http://www.visabureau.com/australia/tourist-visas.aspx

I couldn't on onto Australia's immigration website. Here is the link, just in case you are able to: http://www.immi.gov.au/visas/pages/600.aspx

For a low risk applicant (e.g. a UK citizen), a decision on a 600 Visitor visa should only take a day or so. Apply online on the following:

http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/600.aspx

If your daughter is an Australian citizen or PR, you should be eligible for a 600 visa with more generous provisions than are available to anyone else.

[h=4]Visitor visas for parents of Australians[/h] Due to the length of the permanent Parent (Migrant) visa (subclass 103) queue, and the desirability of family reunion, we might grant a more generous Visitor visa. You will automatically be considered for this if you are a parent or step-parent of:

• an Australian citizen or permanent resident.
  • an eligible New Zealand citizen.

We will consider these applications on a case-by-case basis. We can grant visas that last up to:

• five years for parents outside Australia who are in the Parent (Migrant) visa (subclass 103) queue
  • three years for parents outside Australia who have had a previous Australian visa and complied with the visa conditions, and either:
    • have not applied for a Parent visa
    • have applied for a Parent visa (subclass 103) but are not yet in the Parent visa queue

[*]18 months for parents who have not previously travelled to Australia and either:

• have applied for a Parent visa (subclass 103) but are not yet in the Parent visa queue.

The visa will have three extra visa conditions:

• Maximum 12 month stay in 18 months: You cannot stay in Australia for more than 12 months on any visit or for more than 12 months in any 18-month period.
  • Health insurance: You must maintain fully comprehensive health insurance while you are in Australia. You could be asked to provide evidence of 12 months health insurance cover when you apply. Reciprocal health arrangements are not adequate to meet this requirement.
  • No further stay: You cannot apply for a new visa while you are in Australia. You must leave Australia no later than the date on which your visa ends, except in extremely limited circumstances. ​

Guest Amelie
For a low risk applicant (e.g. a UK citizen), a decision on a 600 Visitor visa should only take a day or so. Apply online on the following:

http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/600.aspx

If your daughter is an Australian citizen or PR, you should be eligible for a 600 visa with more generous provisions than are available to anyone else.

Visitor visas for parents of Australians

Due to the length of the permanent Parent (Migrant) visa (subclass 103) queue, and the desirability of family reunion, we might grant a more generous Visitor visa. You will automatically be considered for this if you are a parent or step-parent of:

• an Australian citizen or permanent resident.

• an eligible New Zealand citizen.

We will consider these applications on a case-by-case basis. We can grant visas that last up to:

• five years for parents outside Australia who are in the Parent (Migrant) visa (subclass 103) queue

• three years for parents outside Australia who have had a previous Australian visa and complied with the visa conditions, and either:

• have applied for a Parent visa (subclass 103) but are not yet in the Parent visa queue

[*]18 months for parents who have not previously travelled to Australia and either:

• have applied for a Parent visa (subclass 103) but are not yet in the Parent visa queue.

The visa will have three extra visa conditions:

• Maximum 12 month stay in 18 months: You cannot stay in Australia for more than 12 months on any visit or for more than 12 months in any 18-month period.

• Health insurance: You must maintain fully comprehensive health insurance while you are in Australia. You could be asked to provide evidence of 12 months health insurance cover when you apply. Reciprocal health arrangements are not adequate to meet this requirement.

• No further stay: You cannot apply for a new visa while you are in Australia. You must leave Australia no later than the date on which your visa ends, except in extremely limited circumstances. ​

That's good to know. Hopefully, this is really positive for the OP.

Thanks for that both of you. I am already on the 103 waiting list and had intended to get a 600 visa at some point because I know the entry and stay conditions are very favourable - I just hadn't planned to do it this time, I was going to wait until next year. Even the possibility of a 20 day wait makes me cringe, so I think I'll get an E visa this time and hope that three months is long enough. Thanks again.

I came over Kath on the 103 & an e-visitor visa.

Towards the end of my 3 month stay I applied for 143 & 600 to await 143 grant.

The 600 was granted overnight (for the remaining 9 months)

Ozmaniac is spot on (as usual) :)

Yes, I'm sure that the one day processing is, in fact, spot on but I don't want to leave the slightest chance of the visa not being through in time. Thanks for the additional info Fresia. I'm going to get the 600 visitor sorted for OH and myself at first opportunity then the visa rigmarole will be sorted for the next few (five?) years.

Ozmaniac, the reason I would believe 20 days from some online agent rather than the one day quoted by the DIBP is that I'm clearly a complete idiot. Well spotted!

Thanks again, everyone, for your help. :wink:

Archived