IELTS - what more should I do?

Birch4

Hi everyone,

I have my IELTS General exam booked for the 28th of March in Scotland. I have worked through the IELTS 9 book and have printed past papers from online too. I have completed about 5 listening tests, 3 writing test and about 6 reading tests over the past few weeks. When I mark my own I seem to get about 36-37/40 for each section. Can anyone offer any advice on what else I should do? Is this enough practice or can you never do enough? :frown: I seem to get to some parts in the listening where I seem to 'switch off' hoping this doesn't happen on the actual day of the exam! :eek:

Thanks

Lx

First of all do not switch of on the listening i know thats easier said then done but before you know it they will be onto the next section and you would of missed answers. Iv taken my ielts twice first time flopped on the writing i needed 8s in all areas and got 7 in writing. Second time got my 8s:-) i used the ielts 9 and a website called simonielts which i found really useful. I would say personally you can never revise too much but as long as you understand the structure of the exam where they try to trip you up and can write a letter youll be fine, going by your scores it looks like youd get band 7 or 8 anyway

Good luck x

Hi kayp09 - Any listening tests I have done I have not stopped them I have worked through them. But my mind does tend to wonder! lol - the middle sections seem to move a bit faster and at the start it can be slower. I thought the scores looked ok.... but then I am doing this at home without the exam pressure so to speak. How far along are you in this process??

Lisa x

Hi I took this test last year, it got 8 in speaking, 8 in listening , 8 reading ... And flopped in writing 6.5. Firstly try to use more complex words in writing and practice the examples given in Simon ilet's. The other ones are straight forward. Also big tip have several sharp pencils , that let me down in writing. The reading , listening and writing are done in one go so be prepared, then they will do listen after a break with a time slots. Any else pm me. Thanks

Birch4,

i sat sat the academic ielts in January at Glasgow Caledonian university and it was a well organised event. Hope wherever you are sitting will also be the same.

I practised as much as I could on the writing section which is the section most people find hard. I used ieltspractice.com as they have a large range of tests and they provide hints and tips. YouTube is also good as some people have put their own personal experiences and teachers have also made pages outlining the main points to remember. I learned the way to answer the written questions and how to score highly.

Hope per this helps and good luck!

Hi lisa

Yeah i found the begining quiet slow and really easy but towards the end i found it alot faster and i did think id missed bits but obviously not as much as id thought as i got the 8 i needed. Do you know what score you need? Im sure you will be fine try not to stress too much as it was pretty relaxed when i done mine and they do get most of it out the way in the morning then you just have to wait for your time slot for speaking in the afternoon.

We have a meeting with our emigration agent Wednesday about putting our eoi in, will be so relived once that goes in were hoping to go to queens, how about you?

Kayleigh x

Hi lisa

Yeah i found the begining quiet slow and really easy but towards the end i found it alot faster and i did think id missed bits but obviously not as much as id thought as i got the 8 i needed. Do you know what score you need? Im sure you will be fine try not to stress too much as it was pretty relaxed when i done mine and they do get most of it out the way in the morning then you just have to wait for your time slot for speaking in the afternoon.

We have a meeting with our emigration agent Wednesday about putting our eoi in, will be so relived once that goes in were hoping to go to queens, how about you?

Kayleigh x

I need 7s at the moment according to the visa agent..... finger crossed! We are not 100% sure which suburb yet however hoping to head to Brisbane. Visa process permitting! :eek: There is certainly a lot to think about! I have been doing the online practice tests this week and have been performing worse than ever! Previous practice was going ok with the past paper book. I think I am just tired at the end of a working day. :SLEEP:

I found the listening, writing and speaking easy enough but be careful on the timing for the reading. Allow 20 mins each article and go to questions straightaway. Good luck

Tonight and the closer it gets the more challenging it is becoming! lol :laugh: I can only give it my best shot. I find the listening papers really boring and my wee mind keeps wondering!! my bad!! :arghh: must focus on the day!! I am sure on the actual day I will concentrate as it will be the real deal. No idea how this will go to be honest! Good luck to anyone else in the same position!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived