Australian Subclass 309 Visa - once approved

Simmo1234

Hi,

Have scrawled through multiple threads but unable to find the answer to this question.

My husband (English) will shortly be applying for a provisional subclass 309 Visa to start the process of moving back to Australia (I'm Australian). We are hoping to move back in May 2016 but want to ensure we have plenty of time to get the visa processed etc. I recognise the processing time varies for everyone, but once approved, does anyone know how long you have to move back to Oz? Is there a time limit for getting out there or could we happily wait a year or so with the Visa in hand while still living in the Uk?

Any guidance would be much appreciated ! Thanks

Just found information that you will be provided with an "initial entry date" to enter Australia by. Can anyone give an indication of how long these tend to be? 1 month, 6 months, 12 months? Thanks again!!

It is actually counted as 12 months from the police check/medicals. They request these during the application and the visa grant typically gives you around 6 months to validate the visa (it did in my case anyhow). You can validate and then leave as I did but you must return again to take up residence within 5 years of validation or the visa will expire.

I understand that current processing times are up to 14 months so if you are planning on May 2016 you should look to lodge the application without delay.

Archived