Best place to buy groceries in Melbourne, markets or supermarket?

So.. I want to be able to get a really decent priced grocery each week which will consist of...

Peanut butter (crunchy) x2 tubs

Salmon Fillets (180g serving) x3

Tuna chunks (spring water) x3 tins

Steak (400g) x 3

Chicken breast (500g) x 5

Broccoli x 7

Spinnach (200g servings) x 3

Iceberg lettuce x4

I've searched around so far and have come up with "Coles" which off this list would cost me $96.55 (per week)

converting this over to the english pound it is roughly the same I spend on food weekly already (roughly £50 per week)

Obviously if I can find an even cheaper way to source this food that would be great, I've had a look online and noticed Melbourne has a few meat & veg markets? Are they reasonably priced there?

Thanks,

Jack

Woolworth's would be the other place to buy, but you can't really get an accurate figure by doing an on line shop. For example, the Tuna may be $1.60 per tin but every few weeks will be on offer at around a $1 tin , so of course you would buy quite a few tins at that time. Chicken fillets in Woolys were around $9.90 pr kilo this week, but the week before last were on offer at $8 , i bought a few kilo's then and split them up and popped them in the freezer.

The trick here is about learning how to buy, i soon realised supermarkets have different items on offer every week and household shops seem to have 'sale's' all the time,lol, New Year , Easter, EOFY, Xmas, Boxing day, Summer, Winter, and the list goes on,lol.

Aldi (if its around) may knock a little more off the costs you get but they are not as wide spread as Woolworths and Coles.

Cal x

my mum does vic market for all her meats, I do the supermarkets but as said above you stock up when the items are on half price. Items such as Bacon, Orange Juice, Frozen Fish, sausages, Chicken Kievs, Chocolate, Sweats, Coke, Beans, Soup, Bread, dioderant, toothpaste etc are half price at least once a month. You just stock up when they are... would never pay more than 99c for Heinz Baked beans

would never pay more than 99c for Heinz Baked beans

English Style? lol.. Im the same, stock up when on sale.

Dog food is another i forgot to mention, Large bags of Supercoat are approx $25 shelf price but on offer around every 5 weeks at $18, which is quite a big saving.

Cal x

Coles is so expensive. Go to south Melbourne market where fruit and veg, fish and meat is cheaper and you can but as little or as much as you need. Far better quality as well. There's an aldi opposite the market where you can get peanut butter and tinned tuna. I reckon you could get everything on that list for $40-50 max.

Archived