Help! Applying for Jobs while offshore

dangargoyle

"that you haven't provided a Australian number and that you are an overseas applicant (no Australian experience)" This seems Quite Logical to me.

when I was in Australia last time around (September 2014) I deliberately purchased a PAYG SIM to use with a very old Nokia - so I could add the tel no to my CV. I haven't started applying yet but keep the phone charged/topped up, just in case the few people who have the number, decide to call. I spoke to one agent on the basis that she was very insistent that I call her on the telephone rather than having an email conversation.

The SIM cost 20 AUD and it then costs 10 AUD every three months [at the moment].

You may not be in a position to do this but there is no reason why not being in Australia, means you can't have an Oz tel. no.

What's the problem with .NET? Too many .NET devs? Last time I checked .NET was still a very relevant technology.

Very interesting thread and I wish the OP good luck in landing a job.

I didn't say it was an irrelevant technology, did I? However from an employers perspective there are more than enough .NET developers in the market. I could easily get someone for 220-250/day.

Just received this reply from an agent today....

Thank you for your interest in the Business System Support Manager position I recently advertised and for your application. In order to conduct timely interviews, this role is suitable for candidates who currently reside in Australia, or who have the right to work in the country. I am sorry to advise that for this reason, I am unable to proceed further with your application.

Please feel free to contact us when you arrive in Australia, as we often recruit for other similar positions. In the meantime, you can stay updated on roles available in the Australian market through (deleted link), which delivers the latest jobs straight to your inbox. Feel free to contact us when you arrive in Australia to express your interest in any of these roles.

Once again thank you for your application and I wish you the best of luck with your job search.

Seems very Logical to me. I will now postpone my Job Search till 2 weeks before departure.

In health, the biggest failures for migrants getting shortlisted is that they don't address the selection criteria. Do the jobs you are applying for have a seperate criteria? If so, and you haven't addressed it - this could be one of the reasons you're not being short listed.

I didn't say it was an irrelevant technology, did I? However from an employers perspective there are more than enough .NET developers in the market. I could easily get someone for 220-250/day.

Thanks for clarifying. I guess from an employer's point of view that is a good thing, especially if you can get good quality developers at that rate.

Archived