pr 5 yr visa/citizenship

bwatt99

I came here 2009 to validate my visa and then went back to uk in June 2013 I moved here,i wanted to know to q qualify for citizenship june 2016 as im hearing that first 12 months don't count?

I am looking to return to uk and if I'm here till then then great but if I don't im wondering if I go this June 2015 and get a rrv for my pr visa before I leave can you keep renewing your pr every 5 yrs from uk?

i know to ever get citizenship I would need to stay here the time required,so if I moved back and then came back here I would start over again right?

in regards to the citizenship ship I got my pr visa before I met my wife had a kid and wife got partner visa granted back in 2012 then I think last year 2014 completed the second part and got here pr.

So I believe she would need to wait a bit longer to get citizenship but my question is say we just could not live here long enough for her to get citizenship what does this do or help in future if I have citizenship will it be easier to move back not that I'm saying I would.

And as our kid is linked to wife's pr visa if I got citizenship before wife did can our kid get it with me or does kid need to wait till mum gets her citizenship.

It be nice if could all have got citizenship but not sure if we be here long enough for that but maybe will for mine pending what we plan on doing.

If you moved to Australia in June 2013 and haven't left the country since then, you would be eligible to apply for citizenship in June 2016. ANY time you've spent outside Australia after June 2013 will add at least that many months to the citizenship date. The 12 months before you arrived can be included in the 4 year residence requirement because you held a valid visa.

If your wife moved to Australia with you in June 2013 on her first Australian visa and hasn't left the country since then, she would be eligible to apply for citizenship 1 year after you.

Your child must meet the same residence requirements as your wife or anyone else - their eligibility is not tied to either parent. The child must:

• have been living in Australia on a valid Australian visa for four years immediately before applying which must include the last 12 months as a permanent resident, and
  • not have been absent from Australia for more than one year in total, in the 4 year period, including no more than 90 days in the year before applying.

If you get citizenship but your wife and child don't, the fact that you are a citizen will probably make it easier for them to get back to Australia. In some cases, if a PR must live overseas with an Australian citizen partner, that time can be counted as time spent in Australia for citizenship purposes. Otherwise, the fact that you're a citizen will make it easier for them to get Resident Return visas which will allow them to return as PRs.

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/applying/files/support_docs/support_1300t_1290/resi_variation/ See dot point 5 under 'Ministerial discretions'

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure what you mean are you saying that if i was a oz citizen and we moved back to uk then wife's time spent in uk can count for citizenship purposes?What say i dont reach the time required to apply for citizenship and we head back with pr can we keep the pr visa ongoing?

Or do they expire after that time is up,i know they never expire but say 6 yrs time we wanted to come back and both our pr visa had run out.

Im really unsure as to whats ahead but more likely heading back as in the 2 yrs nothing has really made us want to stay here ie my work has been a joke etc and only going to get worse,im surprised i lasted this time already,i couple of jobs may see us both stay here another year or so but its looking more likely not at this stage and need to start planning a move.

In some cases, if a PR must live overseas with an Australian citizen partner, that time can be counted as time spent in Australia for citizenship purposes. Otherwise, the fact that you're a citizen will make it easier for them to get Resident Return visas which will allow them to return as PRs.

Not sure what you mean are you saying that if i was a oz citizen and we moved back to uk then wife's time spent in uk can count for citizenship purposes?What say i dont reach the time required to apply for citizenship and we head back with pr can we keep the pr visa ongoing?

Or do they expire after that time is up,i know they never expire but say 6 yrs time we wanted to come back and both our pr visa had run out.

Im really unsure as to whats ahead but more likely heading back as in the 2 yrs nothing has really made us want to stay here ie my work has been a joke etc and only going to get worse,im surprised i lasted this time already,i couple of jobs may see us both stay here another year or so but its looking more likely not at this stage and need to start planning a move.

In some cases, if a PR must live overseas with an Australian citizen partner, that time can be counted as time spent in Australia for citizenship purposes. Otherwise, the fact that you're a citizen will make it easier for them to get Resident Return visas which will allow them to return as PRs.

I do usually recommend getting citizenship, but if you don't like Australia and your child is not a citizen, you got to ask yourself why bother? Having a visa and citizenship can hang over you and you are constantly wondering should I move back and try again to make use of this thing I have. If nothing makes you want to stay, then don't stay and get on with your life.

to your question, the PR won't last for ever, the only way to be sure you keep the option going forever is to have citizenship. as I say though, it is not clear why you need the option.

Im not saying i dont like australia or i would not have been here or came in first place but all was good in uk, no reason to come over here but just a dream of mine and its not been easy as in work etc to the point sort of enough is enough.

As i have spent a bit on visas etc for myself and child and myself many years ago i just was looking into my options,if it had been 2 yrs for citizenship then great i know what i would have been doing for sure,i dont know what the future holds as in we head back to uk or are still here or move back to uk and in later life come back to oz as it was better for us when the think back.

But to be honest uk has been for us and im almost 2 yrs in and nothing has changed that much.

Im sure someone said you can keep your pr going even when your in uk and not in oz,if i dont get citizenship and get a rrv for my pr then it lasts another 5yrs but wife will be about 4 yrs or there abouts as she got it last year through the 2 yr partner visa.

Im not saying i dont like australia or i would not have been here or came in first place but all was good in uk, no reason to come over here but just a dream of mine and its not been easy as in work etc to the point sort of enough is enough.

As i have spent a bit on visas etc for myself and child and myself many years ago i just was looking into my options,if it had been 2 yrs for citizenship then great i know what i would have been doing for sure,i dont know what the future holds as in we head back to uk or are still here or move back to uk and in later life come back to oz as it was better for us when the think back.

But to be honest uk has been for us and im almost 2 yrs in and nothing has changed that much.

Im sure someone said you can keep your pr going even when your in uk and not in oz,if i dont get citizenship and get a rrv for my pr then it lasts another 5yrs but wife will be about 4 yrs or there abouts as she got it last year through the 2 yr partner visa.

You might be able to drag PR out, you might be able to wangle another RRV down the line, but the only certain way to retain the right to live in Australia is through citizenship.

Based only on your posts, you didn't seem to keen on the place and I thought it would be worth trying to encourage you to take a step back and question why you are pursuing it. Your wife is going to be a year behind you getting citizenship and then you really need to allow six months for the process to run through as well, so it is a long time ahead.

Edited by Bungo