Gidday from a 6th generation Aussie!

Guest Nicole Page

Guest Nicole Page

Hiya folks --

My name is Nicole, and I'm a 6th generation Aussie who lives in the Adelaide Hills.

I was born and raised here in the Hills, and have lived here all my life, save for a short stint when I was about 19 where I lived in Melbourne for a year. Can't say I took to Melbourne much, but that's just me. Too big, too busy, and too much traffic. Not enough room to move for a girl like me (I say 'girl'...I am 33 years old :lol: )

Anyway, my ancestors were free settlers from England who landed here in Adelaide, and my family have been here since. Sure, we've spread out a bit -- I have aunts, uncles and cousins in Perth, Brisbane, Darwin, and country NSW.

I've travelled the country pretty widely, and I've visited every capital city. I assure you, I wouldn't trade Adelaide for all the tea in China. Here's why:

* It's a nice sized city of about a million people. We don't know traffic jams. We are known as "the 20 minute city" as you can get anywhere you want to be inside 20 minutes. I admit, that's an exageration, as Adelaide is quite spread out. But the traffic is easy here -- unlike Sydney and Melbourne, where I personally feel claustrophobic. I can't move!

* Because it is a city of a million odd people, it has all the facilities you want. Parks, playgrounds, cinemas, festivals, pubs, nightlife, theatre, libraries, museums, 3 universities, Tafe (ie Tech school), plenty of sporting venues, etc

* Beaches. Basically, Adelaide sits on one enormous, long, broad, sandy beach. The beaches are clean, easily accessible, and you won't walk barefoot and tread on a syringe (unlike say, St Kilda beach in Melbourne where at least when I was there 10 years ago that used to be a concern)

* The Adelaide Hills. 20 minutes from the CBD and your in the Hills (where I live). Lots of places for bushwalks, BBQs and picnics. Little country towns which would not have the charm of your average English village, but they are very nice regardless

* Low crime. Look sure, we have crime, and drugs, and all that rubbish that all cities have. But there's far less of it here than there is in Sydney and Melbourne

* Families: all of the above means that Adelaide is a great spot to raise kids. I have a boy myself.

*Weather. We have 4 season's, and admittedly summer is long, hot, and dry. That's Australia mates, so get used to it. :D I'd think that as Poms you'd go into shock if you didn't buy a house here with good, efficient air conditioning. But you do get used to the heat. We're just getting in to the warmer weather now, where it's 30 to 35 most days. It takes a little adjustment. (Come January/February, when we're regularly at 38-40, we tend to yearn for a 'cool' low 30s day :lol: ). But, the good weather means there's plenty of time for the Great Outdoors. There's always a nice beach not far to splash around in, maybe eat some fish & chips and watch the sun go down (one of my families favourites). And from October to April who needs an oven? You just whack a bit of meat on the BBQ, throw together a salad, and eat outside. Hardly any dishes, so it's bloody marvellous!

Ok, that's my hard sell out of the way! I will temper it with the reality that Poms need to come to Oz with a fairly thick skin, because the minute your shoes hit the tarmac, you're probably going to get hit with the "bath dodging whinging pom" tag.

By advice is to pay it no mind and take it in good grace. Aussies don't mean anything by it. Everyone cops it here...the wogs, the wops, the dagos, the lot. In most cases, it is simply met as a bit of friendly banter. In a few cases it is not. Avoid such people, because they're aholes. All countries have their share, including Australia, unfortunately. Such is life!

In parting, I will say two things:

1) If anyone is looking to move to Adelaide, feel free to ask me about whatever suburb you are looking at. Some of them are downright horrid!

2) I run an Australian political debate board, where Australian's argue the toss about politics, terrorism, beer, BBQs, & bulldust! If you want to know how Aussies think and feel, please feel free to join us!

I won't link it here, as it is not my intention to 'pilfer' from this site or any other such nonsense. But if you're a Pom who wants to chat with Aussies, please feel free to PM me, and I'll forward you the link.

Good luck with your move to Australia. I'm rather fond of the old Commonwealth myself.

Cheers

Nicole

Guest Pesky Varmit

Hi Nicole,

Great post! We hope to be joining you soon in Adelaide and are looking forward to a new life in the sunshine. Coming from Ireland, we don't see that much of it here! :) That big town feel you've described as Adelaide certainly appeals to us,Belfast is also a small city, similar in size :D

Hopefully you'll post more useful information for those of us waiting to land in Oz :)

Guest Nicole Page
Hi Nicole,

Great post! We hope to be joining you soon in Adelaide and are looking forward to a new life in the sunshine. Coming from Ireland, we don't see that much of it here! :) That big town feel you've described as Adelaide certainly appeals to us,Belfast is also a small city, similar in size :D

Hopefully you'll post more useful information for those of us waiting to land in Oz :)

Oh, you'll do very well with that accent of yours, Varmit. Aussies love the Irish!

Have you looked around at any suburbs? You do need to be a bit careful with that.

Cheers

Nicole

Hi all,

I am an Adelaide boy (born,raised, lived, worked) that has recently moved to UK - intending to stay for a year or two to experience life living OS.

I have been through the trials and tribulations of starting afresh over here and would be happy to share my knowledge about life in Adelaide - anything that would make things as easy as possible.

I guarantee you will find things about Australia quirky - I hope that you have friends and/or family going with you so you can share a laugh together about them - as I have here with my partner. They are only inconveniences - remember that!!

As an Australian, I miss some things I never thought I would, like

A good schnitzel parmigiana at the pub on Friday

Australian Cadbury chocolate (there is a big difference)

My backyard

The sound of birds in the morning (yes even in the city)

Walking along a beach

Coopers Beer

Steaks that have taste

Knowing where to go for socks, shirts, hardware, electrical goods etc

you will have your own list....

But as much as there are differences, I am sure you will recognise that Australia is very much a British country, our traditions stem from our founders - so things will feel "familiarly different".

I encourage you to embrace the changes, take every opportunity to get out and see things - drive to the Barossa and McLaren Vale and sample our food and wine, drive down to Victor Harbor and watch the whales (have one of Klaus' German Hotdogs for me).

Generally Australians are very friendly (I always thought that was such a trite statement - but I now realise we are) and will assist you. Whingeing Pom will be a term of endearment - most aussies will only ridicule those closest to them.

Anyway, enough said for now, but as mentioned above, I'd be happy to assist where I can.

Cheers

Nicole & Cheesey

I enjoyed the read. I am thinking of Adeliade and after reading your posts I feel it could be our new home. When we get to Aus we'll buy a motor and have a good drive around Aussie.

Thankyou

John

Guest austibeach

I would just like to say what great posts have been made by Nicole and Big Cheese. Both you guys have given an insight into what Australian people can really be like and you have both sold your own part of Oz as well as any tourist guide.

Well done and give us some more. I'm sure it does help many people decide whether to make the move or where to settle.

Eric.

Nicole & Cheesey

......When we get to Aus we'll buy a motor and have a good drive around Aussie.

Thankyou

John

Well... Just allow make sure to allow enough time.... It's a big, big, place! :D 8) :D

Guest Nicole Page

Big Cheese, that was a good post. However, you have done one thing that I personally consider sacreligious, re things you miss:

As an Australian, I miss some things I never thought I would, like

A good schnitzel parmigiana at the pub on Friday

Australian Cadbury chocolate (there is a big difference)

My backyard

The sound of birds in the morning (yes even in the city)

Walking along a beach

Coopers Beer

Steaks that have taste

Knowing where to go for socks, shirts, hardware, electrical goods etc

How's about Farmers Union Iced Coffee? :D The very best Iced Coffee not only to be found in the entire country, but anywhere in the world! :D :lol: :D

My brother went to the UK for the first time about a year ago. He said he found the Brits to be quite a humble people, and in contrast, Australians come off looking arrogant.

Do you share that impression?

John & Eric --

I'm glad our postings have given you a little food for thought. I'll give you a little more:

I think the best cities in Oz for you to consider are Adelaide, Perth, & Hobart. I'll tell you why, but firstly let me say a little about Sydney.

My family owns and operates a business that sells domestic travel holidays throughout a number of markets -- both metropolitan and regional -- in Oz.

It should stand to reason that Sydney, being home to a quarter of our population, should be our biggest market, right? Wrong. It's in fact the most underperforming market we have. So 2 weeks ago, I met with the owner of Adelaide's biggest advertising agency, and another guy (Matt) who works there who's speciality is market segmentation.

Matt, most handily, is a Sydney native who moved to Adelaide 3 years ago. I spoke with him at length about why Sydney was such a tough place for us to sell short break holidays. Here is what he said:

* The population of Sydney has skyrocketed over the last 15 years. The traffic is such a dogfight, that people tend to defer all unneccessary travel -- including holidays, because it's a two hour headache each way to both enter and exit the city. This also applies to getting out and about -- going out for dinner, seeing movies etc etc. Young people do it; people with families and mortgages get home from work each day, and collapse. Come the weekends, they burrow themselves inside, drink coffee, and get paranoid -- utterly exhausted with the ratrace outside. The don't move about like people in Adelaide (and other cities) do;

* People in Sydney look like they're worth a million dollars on paper, because of the property prices. The reality is, they scrape to pay the mortgage. So, in addition to the traffic preventing them getting out and about, they actually don't have the same amount of disposable income that we do: they can't afford life's treats like we can. (incidentally, the Reserve Bank of Oz raised interest rates by one quarter of one percent a few months back: at that time, I read an article in the newspaper which said that 1/4% rate rise added a staggering $21 000 to the average yearly mortgage in Sydney :shock: )

* People work in Sydney, and as soon as they hit retirement, they have a tendency to move to either the NSW mid north or south coast. In other words, they get out. You have to ask yourself why?

Moreover, I actually have holiday providers who now point blank refuse to advertise their properties in the Sydney market, because the Sydney people are so bloody uptight and strung out that they get to the Hotel & are stroppy and complain about everything. The people from other markets in Australia are far more relaxed, it would appear.

I will say, in Sydney's defence that it is a truly beautiful city. It's harbour location is stunning, it is surrounded by National Parks, it is vibrant, and alive.

Which is why I enjoy going there on holiday. But I sure as hell have no desire to live in the place. None. I see it as a ratrace.

Melbourne is nowhere near as bad as Sydney, and it's public transport is awesome. But I still find the traffic there a pain in the arse. It takes, no word of a lie, twice as long to travel the same distance there as Adelaide. And holy cow, try getting a cab (taxi) when you need one!!!

Perth and Adelaide are both good picks, and very similar cities. Perth is a little larger, and a prettier city than Adelaide (my opinion only, of course). And the scenery there in South West WA really is spectacular. One of the prettiest places in Oz, truly. I think Perth can offer more in terms of the scenery that surrounds it, to be honest.

The downside of Perth is it's the most geographically isolated city in the entire world. To drive from Perth to Adelaide takes you three days, stopping only to eat and sleep. And I tell you true: don't fall for overly romanticised stories about the Australian Outback: it does have some pretty areas, but they are a long way between drinks. For the most part, it is utterly flat, and utterly dead.

The Nullabor Plain, that 3 day haul between Perth and Adelaide, is a prime example of that: it is the most boring drive you could ever imagine. I have crossed it twice, and I honestly hope never to do so again.

So Perth's isolation goes against it, but it's a fantastic city in a very pertty part of the country.

The other place you should definitely keep in your thoughts is Hobart, Tasmania. A very charming, very sleepy, very pretty, very relaxed little capital. And Tasmania is beautiful, it really is! Being further south, it's much greener, and much cooler, than the rest of Oz too -- which might make a Pom feel more at home?! :D . I don't know whether it's hard to find work there though...Hobart is hardly an economic hub. Tasmania relies on tourism and apple growing to survive. There is very little industry there.

Anyway, hope that helps. My honest advice is look closely at Adelaide, Perth, and Hobart. Brissie is good too, but of course warmer and humid.

Cheers

Nicole

Guest Nicole Page

Oh, and just another thing re Sydney.

I don't want to get political, but those types of immigrants who don't tend to assimilate very well are concentrated primarily in Sydney.

Race riots, anyone?.

If your fed up with racial unrest there in Britain, don't pick Sydney as being a better alternative. :wink:

Nicole,

About aussies being arrogant and brits being humble - in my experience it will depend on circumstance. I spent last year at Lords in the members section, and there was a fair bit of arrogance in there. I have seen the same behaviour in the members section at Adelaide Oval too.

I recognise though that neither is a good representation of the English or Australians.

I have seen first hand some pretty boring loutish behaviour from some Australians living and travelling over here - but I was young once too, and 10 years ago I might have fallen into that category. It seems to happen when a bunch of us get together, get drunk and sing loud renditions of Paul Kelly songs - as though we are the only Aussies to have ever travelled overseas.

I am trying to make a conscious effort to mingle more with the Brits, engage in their culture.....otherwise I might have well stayed home. That would be my advice to any Brit looking to move to Adelaide, or anywhere in Australia.

Ohh, how could I have forgotten Farmers Union iced coffee - a gem that is available all around Australia now. I was in Tassie in March this year, and you could get it there too. Oh and Haigh's chocolates :) My sister posted me some to the UK. They are reasons enough to migrate!!

I don't want to laud Adelaide more than anywhere else, I love Melbourne too, and would also seriously consider moving to Brisbane. Personally, I wouldn't go to Perth because I have never been able to see past the isolation, and Hobart is very small with limited opportunities. A lot of the young people move to Melbourne for University or work. It's a beautiful place and I would highly recommend a holiday there, but would be a very difficult place to move to if you were from a large city in the UK.

I am happy to answer any more specific questions about Adelaide, just fire away.

* The population of Sydney has skyrocketed over the last 15 years. The traffic is such a dogfight, that people tend to defer all unneccessary travel -- including holidays, because it's a two hour headache each way to both enter and exit the city. This also applies to getting out and about -- going out for dinner, seeing movies etc etc. Young people do it; people with families and mortgages get home from work each day, and collapse. Come the weekends, they burrow themselves inside, drink coffee, and get paranoid -- utterly exhausted with the ratrace outside. The don't move about like people in Adelaide (and other cities) do;

* People in Sydney look like they're worth a million dollars on paper, because of the property prices. The reality is, they scrape to pay the mortgage. So, in addition to the traffic preventing them getting out and about, they actually don't have the same amount of disposable income that we do: they can't afford life's treats like we can. (incidentally, the Reserve Bank of Oz raised interest rates by one quarter of one percent a few months back: at that time, I read an article in the newspaper which said that 1/4% rate rise added a staggering $21 000 to the average yearly mortgage in Sydney )

Some gross generalisations there. Have you ever lived in Sydney Nicole,? doesn't sound like it. Getting about can be hard especially if you're talking about entering one extreme end of the city and exiting the other (but who the hell does that?). But most people move around in their own locales without an issue. I live in Lane Cove and can be out of the city heading up the F3 in less than 30mins (however on friday night peak hour that would be closer to 90mins).

Most people I read about who are struggling to pay their mortgages in Sydney are from the western and north western suburbs. These people seem to have over borroweed, under deposited, and spend way too much money on things they don't want, to impress people they don't know, with money they don't have. (see my 'Sydney's Pay Later Poor' link) It's not a Sydney wide issue by any means, seems to be mostly isolated to those areas (because housing is cheaper there).

I don't think it's a particular trait of Sydneysiders. It's more exageratted here because of the expense, but I suppose it's returned in appreciating house values (units have dropped but houses have not in Sydney, in the Eastern subs and northern beaches, which is the only two places I'd buy a house in Sydney).

Generally it is a truly craptacular place to live once you leave the beaches. But IMO not for the reasons you've pointed out. People who incapable of saving or understanding contracts are everywhere in Australia, not just Sydney.

People work in Sydney, and as soon as they hit retirement, they have a tendency to move to either the NSW mid north or south coast. In other words, they get out. You have to ask yourself why?

A million and one different reasons - to live in places where they have spent past holidays, and enjoyed the relaxed lifestyle, wildlife, beach access and being mortgage free at last. I don't think that this just applies to Sydneysiders, in fact I know it doesn't. Friends in Adelaide and Melbourne did exactly that too.

but those types of immigrants who don't tend to assimilate very well are concentrated primarily in Sydney.

No, that's Elizabeth (english settlement in Adelaide) :lol:

Koala

Most people I read about who are struggling to pay their mortgages in Sydney are from the western and north western suburbs.

I don't think it's a particular trait of Sydneysiders. It's more exageratted here because of the expense, but I suppose it's returned in appreciating house values (units have dropped but houses have not in Sydney, in the Eastern subs and northern beaches, which is the only two places I'd buy a house in Sydney).

Generally it is a truly craptacular place to live once you leave the beaches. But IMO not for the reasons you've pointed out. People who incapable of saving or understanding contracts are everywhere in Australia, not just Sydney.

I think you too are guilty of gross exaggeration! I live in northwest Sydney and it is neither crapsville nor is it full of people who can't afford their mortgages. In fact I believe it is one of the more affluent areas. Cannot comment on western Sydney as I don't live there. The fascination with the eastern suburbs and northern beaches really amuses me. Sure if you feel there's snob value there and that is your scene fine, but the north west is a great place to bring up children. By the way, I can be on the F3 in 15 minutes. As for Nicole, all she is doing is praising where she lives, and that's good, but in doing so she should not miscall other parts of Australia.

Most people I read about who are struggling to pay their mortgages in Sydney are from the western and north western suburbs.

I think you too are guilty of gross exaggeration! I live in northwest Sydney and it is neither crapsville nor is it full of people who can't afford their mortgages. In fact I believe it is one of the more affluent areas. Cannot comment on western Sydney as I don't live there. The fascination with the eastern suburbs and northern beaches really amuses me. Sure if you feel there's snob value there and that is your scene fine, but the north west is a great place to bring up children. By the way, I can be on the F3 in 15 minutes. As for Nicole, all she is doing is praising where she lives, and that's good, but in doing so she should not miscall other parts of Australia.

I think you too are guilty of gross exaggeration!

I think you'll find the fascination with the Eastern subs and northern beaches is because people tend to exhibit some of the more culturally aware aspects of Sydney living (and Christ knows any culture here is rare enough).

Your singular experience is not indicative of the area. The reason you 'believe' it's one of the more affluent areas is the 'raison detre' for most of these pay later poor stories. It looks affluent because people buy things to make themselves look affluent, rather than have anything of real substance behind them (ie real cash or substantial equity). Maybe cashed up Poms coming with money from their UK house is a different story, but do a bit of research and I think you'll find the highest domestic household debt is held by the the two areas I've outlined. Plus eastern and northern subs are still appreciating whereas others are not.

I've been a long long time and seen this trend increase, not decrease.

http://www.jenman.com.au/NewsNews1.php?id=370

Anyway, two interest rate rises on the way and I'm a happy bunny. I invest in cash :)

I think you'll find the fascination with the Eastern subs and northern beaches is because people tend to exhibit some of the more culturally aware aspects of Sydney living (and Christ knows any culture here is rare enough).

Are you saying that the people who live out with these areas, are culturally unaware? If you are I'm afraid you know very little of greater Sydney and its inhabitants!

Your singular experience is not indicative of the area. The reason you 'believe' it's one of the more affluent areas is the 'raison detre' for most of these pay later poor stories. It looks affluent because people buy things to make themselves look affluent, rather than have anything of real substance behind them (ie real cash or substantial equity). Maybe cashed up Poms coming with money from their UK house is a different story, but do a bit of research and I think you'll find the highest domestic household debt is held by the the two areas I've outlined. Plus eastern and northern subs are still appreciating whereas others are not.

Can you validate these general statements? I'm sure it's true of some, but also true of some in the eastern suburbs.

I believe you stated in a recent post that you had lived here for 17 years. Well, my SINGULAR experience has been built up over 40years which I think shows my comments are valid and comprise many and varied experiences. Oh, NW Sydney - Hills District. Look it up you may learn something about affluence that you didn't know.

Are you saying that the people who live out with these areas, are culturally unaware? If you are I'm afraid you know very little of greater Sydney and its inhabitants!

Can you validate these general statements? I'm sure it's true of some, but also true of some in the eastern suburbs.

I believe you stated in a recent post that you had lived here for 17 years. Well, my SINGULAR experience has been built up over 40years which I think shows my comments are valid and comprise many and varied experiences. Oh, NW Sydney - Hills District. Look it up you may learn something about affluence that you didn't know.

Oh, NW Sydney - Hills District. Look it up you may learn something about affluence that you didn't know.

Give me a home in the hills district anyday, you can keep your eastern suburbs. My son has lived there for the past twelve years, so I also know what I'm talking about here.

We built our home in Castle Hill in 1983, years before it was the major development that it is today. The countryside was on our doorstep. It cost us less than $90,000 and we sold it in 1999 for $500,000. I consider that a good return.

Koala

Oh, NW Sydney - Hills District. Look it up you may learn something about affluence that you didn't know.

Give me a home in the hills district anyday, you can keep your eastern suburbs. My son has lived there for the past twelve years, so I also know what I'm talking about here.

We built our home in Castle Hill in 1983, years before it was the major development that it is today. The countryside was on our doorstep. It cost us less than $90,000 and we sold it in 1999 for $500,000. I consider that a good return.

Koala

Are you saying that the people who live out with these areas, are culturally unaware?

Yes

Look it up you may learn something about affluence that you didn't know.

I doubt it.

It cost us less than $90,000 and we sold it in 1999 for $500,000. I consider that a good return.

Indeed it is, but I'll wager that the equity you had in your $90k home when you sold was substationally more in % terms than the person that paid $500k for your home. Borrowing trends have changed drastically since 2002. People borrow more and secure it with less, unfortunately.

Personally I'd rather put money into appreciating assets and do away with or minimise the effect of depreciating assets (like expensive cars). This is more effectively metered out by living in closer proximity to those assets (be it a home or whatever) and the source of the income (work).

Sad to say that our home was purchased as an investment property, and never going to be lived in by the new owners. They owned a lot of properties out near Windsor.

On the one occasion I went back to look at it, the gardens beds were all dead and it looked really neglected.

Koala

Are you saying that the people who live out with these areas, are culturally unaware?

Yes

Look it up you may learn something about affluence that you didn't know.

I doubt it.

Oh dear, it's always sad when people think that they have nothing to learn.

Archived