BAE Systems Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (Unlicensed) - Anyone?

MaisieK

This is my millionth post in the space of a few days so I'm sorry but we need to get as much info as we can as I'm sure you all understand!

My partner works for BAE Systems and has almost completed his apprenticeship in Aeronautical Engineering (NVQ Level 3) and is also working towards a B2 license. The contract he is working on is with the RAF so at the moment he is working on military aircraft only which could present the first stumbling block for us. I've read that people can't usually get jobs unless they are an Australian citizen with the relevant licensing BUT then I've just been reading that some people in our position have been sponsored (particularly in Vic and SA) and have been successful.

Is there any BAE employees (past or present) on here who can offer any insight? We've emailed Engineers Australia but they were VERY vague in their reply.

I'm trying to hold off contacting a migration agent for now.

My hubby has worked for bae at barrow ...but not a maintainece technician so I cannot help u there ...but I do know my hubby wanted apply for a job here in brissie he had everything they were asking for but had to be a citizen ! So obviously he's snookered until he is a citizen ...it has something to do with security checks ...but it will only be for some jobs ...so I'm not much use to ya really lol why do u think EA were vaguer ...unusual for EA to be honest always been very helpful to my hubby :)

My hubby has worked for bae at barrow ...but not a maintainece technician so I cannot help u there ...but I do know my hubby wanted apply for a job here in brissie he had everything they were asking for but had to be a citizen ! So obviously he's snookered until he is a citizen ...it has something to do with security checks ...but it will only be for some jobs ...so I'm not much use to ya really lol why do u think EA were vaguer ...unusual for EA to be honest always been very helpful to my hubby :)

Yeah I've read that he would need a security clearance :( do you know if there's any way around this? The person who emailed from EA just gave us a link to the skills assessment booklet which I could have downloaded myself!

Yeah I've read that he would need a security clearance :( do you know if there's any way around this? The person who emailed from EA just gave us a link to the skills assessment booklet which I could have downloaded myself!

Inhave ve just read ya post to my hubby when he rang me just ...I don't really want to say to u wat he said is not out to offend u ...but he said the best thing for ur hubby to do or partner is stay in the uk and get experience and proceed to a degree hope u not offended ...he said that will be the best thing for u to do ! ....there won't be any way round a security clearance lol not a chance if that's what u saying :):):)

Inhave ve just read ya post to my hubby when he rang me just ...I don't really want to say to u wat he said is not out to offend u ...but he said the best thing for ur hubby to do or partner is stay in the uk and get experience and proceed to a degree hope u not offended ...he said that will be the best thing for u to do ! ....there won't be any way round a security clearance lol not a chance if that's what u saying :):):)

Not offended at all lol, I was expecting that he may need to do a degree. The posts I've read about people being successful were from 2011 and before so I'm guessing it was much more doable back then. I'm just wondering whether there would be any opportunities to work for BAE in Australia but I'm presuming that a security clearance would be needed there too!

if he fancies a change of trade you can do it, get sponsored fire out here then go for a different job.

for the most part there are only AME (what he'd be) jobs in Brisbane and NT.

but if you get state sponsored you can change jobs or move states if there is nothing available for your trade.

it's an option, if the state sponsored route is still open for you and he's happy to do something else.

this is the exact situation i'm in, military experience, some civvie, no jobs, but with a great love of melbourne.

the degree will likely get you better wages, it's finding the job in the first place that's the problem. i'm currently working with degree qualified fully licensed airbus and boeing ticketed LAME's drilling holes for a living.

The moneys ok, but drilling holes??!!?? WTF!

it's transferable skills city if you want to stay on the Yarra! :)

If he works for bae already ..he said u might beable get here on a 457 ...through bae because they have strong links with uk ....it's better if. Go through bae back home ....he said a degree will can help u get residancy but u don't need it in the job ya doing ...he said u shud already have clearance from bae ...the problem here Hr people r looking for citizen on cv but u don't always necesarilary need it ...ask at your works back home any chance of a sponsor to here ...he does know of people who worked at bae who came to australia on a 457 working on defence project who are not citizens ...if my hubby got citizen here and ever went back uk he wud prob struggle get back in because they don't like dual citizen from any other country they don't like it lol ....but I rambled ya post off to him first time he told me read it to him again lol he said you don't need a degree but he said you will still need the experience lol something like that anyway ....

As far as I can tell. when your partner finishes his apprenticeship, the occupation he will be qualified for is 323111 Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (Avionics) or 323112 Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (Mechanical) both of which are trades assessed by TRA. They are only on the CSOL which means that the occupations are only eligible for employer or state sponsored visas. 323111 and 323112 were both on the SOL a year or so ago but were removed, presumably because of a decline in demand. If he wants to nominate his occupation as Aeronautical Engineer, he will need a degree, preferably one with Washington Accord accreditation.

[TABLE=class: table-100]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

if he fancies a change of trade you can do it, get sponsored fire out here then go for a different job.

for the most part there are only AME (what he'd be) jobs in Brisbane and NT.

but if you get state sponsored you can change jobs or move states if there is nothing available for your trade.

it's an option, if the state sponsored route is still open for you and he's happy to do something else.

this is the exact situation i'm in, military experience, some civvie, no jobs, but with a great love of melbourne.

the degree will likely get you better wages, it's finding the job in the first place that's the problem. i'm currently working with degree qualified fully licensed airbus and boeing ticketed LAME's drilling holes for a living.

The moneys ok, but drilling holes??!!?? WTF!

it's transferable skills city if you want to stay on the Yarra! :)

Interesting. We'd be very happy to move to Melbourne! We've both worked there on our WHVs and loved it.

I honestly don't think he'd mind the change of trade but where would we start with the sponsorship route? Is it likely that he would get sponsored if he's only had experience on military aircrafts or do you think we should move from BAE and look at civil companies? Sorry for all the questions! Can I ask where you work and what qualifications/exp you had before going over there? Was it an easy(ish) process. No further questions :)

If he works for bae already ..he said u might beable get here on a 457 ...through bae because they have strong links with uk ....it's better if. Go through bae back home ....he said a degree will can help u get residancy but u don't need it in the job ya doing ...he said u shud already have clearance from bae ...the problem here Hr people r looking for citizen on cv but u don't always necesarilary need it ...ask at your works back home any chance of a sponsor to here ...he does know of people who worked at bae who came to australia on a 457 working on defence project who are not citizens ...if my hubby got citizen here and ever went back uk he wud prob struggle get back in because they don't like dual citizen from any other country they don't like it lol ....but I rambled ya post off to him first time he told me read it to him again lol he said you don't need a degree but he said you will still need the experience lol something like that anyway ....

Thanks Shelly. He's emailed someone who's in charge of careers etc and asked about opportunities so fingers crossed we have a positive reply, even if it means waiting another 5 years! Someone he works with knows people who were sent to Australia a few years back so its not unheard of. I'm just wondering how we'd go about getting sponsored. We're determined to make it happen so where there's a will there's a way and all that jazz :)

As far as I can tell. when your partner finishes his apprenticeship, the occupation he will be qualified for is 323111 Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (Avionics) or 323112 Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (Mechanical) both of which are trades assessed by TRA. They are only on the CSOL which means that the occupations are only eligible for employer or state sponsored visas. 323111 and 323112 were both on the SOL a year or so ago but were removed, presumably because of a decline in demand. If he wants to nominate his occupation as Aeronautical Engineer, he will need a degree, preferably one with Washington Accord accreditation.

[TABLE=class: table-100]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Thanks Ozmaniac, yeah I think it would be AME (Avionics). Are people usually successful with jobs on the CSOL and getting sponsored etc. or does it happen once in a blue moon? If this fails and means he has to do a degree then we'll just have to bite the bullet I think.

my dad worked for bae in preston 11 years ago & transfered to adelade with an internal bae position on a 457 worked on that for 9 years untill redundancy ( already a citizen by then ) now lives in nsw working at newcastle airpoirt working on the raaf training hawks as bae has the full service & maintanace contracts for them , looking to expand & poss go mobile with the hawks on training around oz soon so might want to ask internaly

Interesting. We'd be very happy to move to Melbourne! We've both worked there on our WHVs and loved it.

I honestly don't think he'd mind the change of trade but where would we start with the sponsorship route? Is it likely that he would get sponsored if he's only had experience on military aircrafts or do you think we should move from BAE and look at civil companies? Sorry for all the questions! Can I ask where you work and what qualifications/exp you had before going over there? Was it an easy(ish) process. No further questions :)

avionics, ahhh same as me, beautiful folk, lots of transferable skills, not so employable on aircraft here in Australia though lol.

There's a think with planes that the public love, but we fall foul of. They have a lot of redundant systems. It means if your aircraft fails in some way, the operator can fly it to another country to fix it, one where they pay the engineers with beans.

The other issue, primarily for avionics folk is that mechanical tradies are allowed (with a small bridging course) to do most of our job.

It doesn't help, the option for the hardcore comitted avionics tradie is to get a mechanics license as quick as possible and ship up to Brisbane or to get a visa and work in another field.

We came out on a 323111 (avionics) 176 state sponsored visa, i would recommend it. the working visas can be full of problems, like losing your job and having to get out of the country in a short timescale. sponsored visas give you more stability and more choices, but this does come at a price.

Jenny at Ian Harrop and associates (now merged with an outfit in Aberdeen) helped us out and i'm sure she will know if the visa is still available and indeed if you can apply.

Jenny - 01793 822 492

http://www.ianharrop.co.uk/

http://www.vu.edu.au/sites/default/files/tafe/pdfs/GSM%20Visa%20Application%20Form%20-%20AIRCRAFT%20MAINTENANCE%20ENGINEER%20%28AVIONICS%29%20[ANZSCO%20323111].pdf

you may have to copy and paste this last link, this forum doesn't seem to like the square brackets!

my dad worked for bae in preston 11 years ago & transfered to adelade with an internal bae position on a 457 worked on that for 9 years untill redundancy ( already a citizen by then ) now lives in nsw working at newcastle airpoirt working on the raaf training hawks as bae has the full service & maintanace contracts for them , looking to expand & poss go mobile with the hawks on training around oz soon so might want to ask internaly

Thanks Danny, that's good to know! We've emailed asking for any internal opportunities so I'm praying that one day they decide to send us over there but I realise I'm being a bit of a dreamer lol. He's worked on hawks so a job like that would be perfect.

avionics, ahhh same as me, beautiful folk, lots of transferable skills, not so employable on aircraft here in Australia though lol.

There's a think with planes that the public love, but we fall foul of. They have a lot of redundant systems. It means if your aircraft fails in some way, the operator can fly it to another country to fix it, one where they pay the engineers with beans.

The other issue, primarily for avionics folk is that mechanical tradies are allowed (with a small bridging course) to do most of our job.

It doesn't help, the option for the hardcore comitted avionics tradie is to get a mechanics license as quick as possible and ship up to Brisbane or to get a visa and work in another field.

We came out on a 323111 (avionics) 176 state sponsored visa, i would recommend it. the working visas can be full of problems, like losing your job and having to get out of the country in a short timescale. sponsored visas give you more stability and more choices, but this does come at a price.

Jenny at Ian Harrop and associates (now merged with an outfit in Aberdeen) helped us out and i'm sure she will know if the visa is still available and indeed if you can apply.

Jenny - 01793 822 492

http://www.ianharrop.co.uk/

http://www.vu.edu.au/sites/default/files/tafe/pdfs/GSM%20Visa%20Application%20Form%20-%20AIRCRAFT%20MAINTENANCE%20ENGINEER%20%28AVIONICS%29%20[ANZSCO%20323111].pdf

you may have to copy and paste this last link, this forum doesn't seem to like the square brackets!

Noo don't say that they're not employable, that's not what we want to hear lol. Thanks for the links etc. He finishes the apprenticeship in Sept so when do you think we should be speaking to agents?

Just called Jenny at Ian Harrop and she was very lovely and helpful. She said that my partner would need 3 years post qualifying experience for state sponsorship but that the kind of experience was irrelevant as he could basically work wherever he wanted if we were granted a visa - so pretty much what you said flybyknight. We're obviously not in a position to apply just yet as he isn't qualified until the end of this year so we just have to hope that in a few years time when he's gained some experience that AME (Avionics) hasn't been banished entirely from the SOL/CSOL! She advised that we should apply before he turns 33 so that gives us 6/7 years by which point he will have got his B2 license. So fingers crossed that his job stays on the CSOL and also that there'll be a shortage of AME's in a few years time. If not then it obviously wasn't meant to be and we'll have to deal with that but hopefully it works out :) wish us luck people!

Archived