UK Mechanical Engineer BA Degree

dave9317

Hi there,

I'm trying to decide what visa to get, the easiest way is to use my trade qualification not my UK Mechanical Engineer BA Hons degree, this is what my agent said as it's easier to assess trade skills, will I still have to get my qualifications assessed (by Washington accord) to be able to practice as a Mech Eng in Aus tho? If so I may as well sort this for the visa in the first place and get it out the way, or would an employer accept I'm degree qualified in UK without being accredited in Aus.

Cheers

If your UK Mechanical Engineer BA Hons degree is a Washington Accord qualification, I can't understand why an agent would say that getting any trade qualification assessed would be easier. I would have thought that Engineers Australia assessments for Washington Accord qualifications would be cheaper, faster and simpler than any trade assessment with no work experience required unless you want to claim work experience points on the points test. If you have your skills assessed through EA, you can apply for membership of EA as a Graduate or Member by including a copy of your MSA outcome letter with your membership application.

If your UK Mechanical Engineer BA Hons degree is a Washington Accord qualification, I can't understand why an agent would say that getting any trade qualification assessed would be easier. I would have thought that Engineers Australia assessments for Washington Accord qualifications would be cheaper, faster and simpler than any trade assessment with no work experience required unless you want to claim work experience points on the points test. If you have your skills assessed through EA, you can apply for membership of EA as a Graduate or Member by including a copy of your MSA outcome letter with your membership application.

Thanks for your reply, i should have mentioned my qualification is not Washington Accord, unluckily for me my university missed a few years of accreditation which happens to be when i enrolled! My agent was saying i would have to complete a lengthy competence report so the trade route is easier.... but would i still need to get some kind of accreditation to practice?

Whichever route i chose it would be a huge advantage to be able to complete everything remote because i want to go traveling very shortly, so the trade skills assessment practical / interview would cause me a problem!

Thanks for your input.

Or do you think it is still worth it to go through the process with engineers Australia even though i don't have an accredited qualification?

Cheers

I would go through Engineers Australia. The current processing time is 11 weeks for accord and 13 weeks for non accord qualifications. The non accord process is a bit tedious but is worth it. It also serves as stage 1 competency if you ever want to become a Chartered engineer.

Like ozmaniac said, I don't see a reason why you shouldn't go through EA unless you need the trade experience points.

http://www.engineersaustralia.org.au/about-us/migration-skills-assessment

Thanks guys, i've been looking at the EA skills assessment requirements, i think the competency report will be the way to go, to make the points though i'm going to have to use "closely related experience" as i was employed in a degree level engineering role for just under 5 years. Before this i was employed as a mechanical technician (mechanical fitter) do you think this would be count as closely related to mechanical engineer? If so i get the full 15 points for experiance.

I was actually seconded from the technician (fitter) role as an assistant engineer then a maintenance planner but I'm not sure if my old employer could / would provide proof that would suffice as on paper i was still employed in the lesser role.

Thanks again guys I'm getting there with this!

Thanks guys, i've been looking at the EA skills assessment requirements, i think the competency report will be the way to go, to make the points though i'm going to have to use "closely related experience" as i was employed in a degree level engineering role for just under 5 years. Before this i was employed as a mechanical technician (mechanical fitter) do you think this would be count as closely related to mechanical engineer? If so i get the full 15 points for experiance.

I was actually seconded from the technician (fitter) role as an assistant engineer then a maintenance planner but I'm not sure if my old employer could / would provide proof that would suffice as on paper i was still employed in the lesser role.

Thanks again guys I'm getting there with this!

Any experience after you graduated can be take into consideration. For Professional Engineer assessment EA has some rules on what is considered relevant experience. So you can try to get it assessed for points and see how it goes. EA are pretty prompt with email replies, best to shoot them an email.

I agree that you should take the CDR route with EA but be very careful when working out what points you can claim for experience. As a general rule, 'closely related' means post-qualification experience in an occupation in the same ANZSCO unit group i.e. one where its ANZSCO code has the same first 4 digits. Mechanical Engineer 233512 is in Unit Group 2335 which covers233511 Industrial Engineer, 233512 Mechanical Engineer and 233513 Production or Plant Engineer. If you want to claim points for work experience, you should also get the additional EA Work Experience Assessment Service when you apply for assessment. If the result leaves you short of points and you haven't claimed points for Proficient or Superior English, that will be the best way to make up the shortfall.

Thanks guys, sounds like i'll go for the min 5 points for experience then, i was a project engineer (project manager) for about 18 months then a plant engineer for 2 years, both come under the mechanical engineer ANZCO 233512 so should be ok, i'll have to get the extra work experience assessment then also. Yeah i'm going to have to try and get the superior english IELTS to make points up!

Archived