Can i pack food in the container?

MrsDoyle

Hi all :-)

Hubby and i are moving back to Scotland in 5 weeks, so we're busy packing up the house, and trying to use all the left over food! I have come across a few things i'd like to take over with me (such as food colourings, and a big bucket of greens cake mix that i haven't got around to opening yet). Does anyone know if i would be allowed to pack these in the container? Some are still sealed, never opened.....some are not. Obviously it's all stuff that wouldn't be likely to perish on the journey.

Thanks for the help!

Hi all :-)

Hubby and i are moving back to Scotland in 5 weeks, so we're busy packing up the house, and trying to use all the left over food! I have come across a few things i'd like to take over with me (such as food colourings, and a big bucket of greens cake mix that i haven't got around to opening yet). Does anyone know if i would be allowed to pack these in the container? Some are still sealed, never opened.....some are not. Obviously it's all stuff that wouldn't be likely to perish on the journey.

Thanks for the help!

I wouldn't, a it will probably spoil due to the temperature that these containers get up to in the sun on deck and the other is the chance of vermin, I know they are supposed to be sealed and the other thing is I do not know how they check for drugs but a sniffer dog would probably get excited at the smell of food and your container might get emptied just to find a 10dollar food mix with all the associated costs.

Bringing food from Australia to Scotland wouldn't cause as many issues as the other way around but seriously I don't think it's worth it. Assuming the food colourings are small/light I'd be more tempted to bring them in your hand luggage - then if there is a problem you are there and it's not holding your container up for a week or more whilst it's fully searched.

You can find the basic information here:

https://www.gov.uk/bringing-food-animals-plants-into-uk/food

And more detailed info here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/355730/bringing_food_leaflet_aug_2014_v4.pdf

My concern would be that the cake mix has dried milk products in it and therefore would not be allowed.

Thanks all :-) You're right, it's not worth the risk!

hi there can i ask why your moving bk to scotland , is your husband missing home , thanks liz

Yes, he is missing home. I miss Scotland too. He hates his job here, and has been offered one working with his brother in law. We'll be living rurally, which we think will be better for the kids :-)

Also, i need to change my signature!

Archived