Holiday Home Rentals. Need some advice.

Ceri09

Hi,

I think me and my partner have decided we want to move to Sunshine Coast. I have been looking at rental properties and have heard that it is quite difficult to be given one without references from previous rentals (as I don't have any). Is this true?

Also I was recommended to book in to the likes of a holiday home for when we arrive for a few weeks so we have a base to start from and can look from there for more a permanent place. Does anyone know of any holiday homes or rentals that are quite cheap or reasonable that we can book with no problem?

Thanks in advance x

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there, we are from the UK and we have a unit at Bribie Island that we were thinking of renting out to English that are moving over, yes we have heard it is hard to rent, but not sure how true it is. we have a two bed unit fully furnished on the beach at Woorim, that we rent out, if you are interested it would be $350 per week all in. happy to rent it so you can use it as a base to see where you want to live, its between Brisbane and the sunshine coast, beautiful area. goole it, good luck with your move regards Jackie

Hi there, we are from the UK and we have a unit at Bribie Island that we were thinking of renting out to English that are moving over, yes we have heard it is hard to rent, but not sure how true it is. we have a two bed unit fully furnished on the beach at Woorim, that we rent out, if you are interested it would be $350 per week all in. happy to rent it so you can use it as a base to see where you want to live, its between Brisbane and the sunshine coast, beautiful area. goole it, good luck with your move regards Jackie

Hi, I thank you so much for your offer but due to our visa restrictions I think Bribie Island is not on our list, any postcodes up from 4552 is in our restrictions. I've been looking on a few websites just figuring out which is the best offer. Stayz.com.au and airbnb.

It isnt hard to rent if you don't have references but you do need to have paperwork ready to submit when you find a rental you like.

You have to score x amount of points so you need to have photocopied ready things like -

Driving licence ,Passports, Medicare Cards (apply as soon as you arrive),copy of a job offer stating salary OR a healthy bank balance, paid up uk mortgage statement or utility bills and most importantly a cover letter explaining your new to the country ,hence lack of Aussie paperwork etc etc.

You can apply for more than one rental at a time and its worth trying to 'befriend' the agents. Go into agents around the suburbs you want to live and see what rentals they have available or even coming up, dont just rely on Realestate.com or the likes.

You are better to book temporary/ furnished/ holiday accommodation for your first 3 or 4 weeks, this gives you chance to look around ,get the important stuff done and find and apply for a rental. Temp accommodation is more expensive as your not locked into a contract and your bills are included in the rent. Stayz.com is a good site but any search of holiday lets' Sunshine Coast will throw you a heap of choices.

Lots of luck with everything and i hope this helps

Cal x

We arrived in Brisbane thurs 22nd jan. Luckily we were able to stay with friends when first arrived. On sat 24th we looked at about 8 different rental properties. the last we loved and filled out the application there and then. We didn't have medicare or Oz licences at that point. They took our passports, visas, copy of a letter from UK bank saying we had never defaulted. We did end up paying 6 months up front to secure it, but the way I saw it was that we would have to have paid that rent in the end anyway and the fact paid up front meant we couldn't waste it on something else then end up worrying about whether we could pay it!! If we had had jobs they wouldn't have made us pay it up front though. After all that we moved in on 3rd march and that was only cos it wasn't empty til then. So it really doesn't have to take long. Don't waste too much money on a holiday rental cos they are so expensive and you may not need for more than a couple of weeks.

Archived