Visa 186 ENS over 50 Agreement stream

cycleman

Hi all, at http://www.immi.gov.au/visas/pages/186.aspx it says:

[TABLE=width: 500]

[TR]

[TD]Age requirements

Even if you are older than 50 years of age, you can still apply for this visa if you:

• are applying through the Agreement stream and the relevant labour agreement allows for a person who has turned 50 to be employed.

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Has anyone successfully obtained a visa via this exemption (not doctor or minister of religion)? Are these labour agreements listed anywhere?

Thanks for any info!

I've never heard of a list.

LAs are not something anyone who is not an RMA knows much about and I suspect not many RMAs have experience with them either. I know that they are only negotiated for large projects employing and sponsoring many people, tend not to cover many industry sectors and in your case, the employer would need to have allowed for the employment of over 50s in their specific LA. What industry do you work in? What is your occupation?

My partner, who looks to have the strongest migration case, is a fully qualified UK secondary school teacher (but over 50). We don't know how centralized the Oz (public) education system is, we are speculating that given a demand for such skills then a Labour Agreement might have been established between the relevant government departments.

I think I've read in another thread that the Labour Agreements are intended to be used for blanket coverage by large organisations for bulk-hiring?

There is another option where you can be exempted from both Age Criteria and Skills Criteria by being a senior academic (ANZSCO 134411 Faculty Head), but from what I'm hearing this means being a dean in a university rather than a senior school teacher. Would be worth talking to an RMA about this specific option though, if you think it could be viable for you.

I am also approaching 50 myself, so I'm trying to get up to speed very quickly on what the options are.

@mungbean, once you are over the age threshold, things get very difficult indeed. Do it!

Yeah, I know. I only arrived 3 weeks back, about 3 months after getting the job offer.

I've just got a house sorted, and completed 2 weeks in my new job. The thought of diving back into another round of RMA and visa stuff isn't an attractive one! But yes, the clock is ticking.

Interesting how they just raised the retirement age to 70, but didn't change that 50 threshold... :P

My partner, who looks to have the strongest migration case, is a fully qualified UK secondary school teacher (but over 50). We don't know how centralized the Oz (public) education system is, we are speculating that given a demand for such skills then a Labour Agreement might have been established between the relevant government departments.

Unfortunately I think its highly unlikely. There are numerous teachers in Australia already looking for work, can't see them creating a LA for them I'm afrsid.

Archived