Skilled lndependent Visa 189

Theresa13

My husband is an Environmental Health Officer and as a family we are looking at applying for Skilled Independent Visa 189. I know that this visa lasts for a period of 5 years which means it would still be valid when our daughter leaves school after completing her A Levels, she could then go straight into a Australian University. The problem is our son will still be in year 12 (uk), he currently attends a private school as a day pupil so our plan would be to change him to a boarder and leave him here to complete his A Levels. Our son would be included on the 189 because although the plan in 5 years is as above things may change. Does this raise any issues? If he does not accompany us and comes along when he finishes school, does anyone know what visa I would have apply for?

If you include both children on the visa application, you will all be granted a 189 at the same time. You must all enter Australia to validate the visa before the validation date (12 months from the date of the first medical or PCC), but don't then need to stay in the country. The visas will be valid for entry to Australia for 5 years from the date of grant and during that time, you can come and go as you please. After the 5 years, it will only be possible to enter Australia if you have a Resident Return visa. If your son stays in the UK to finish his schooling after the rest of the family has moved to Australia, he won't have any trouble getting a 1 year RRV when he has finished his A Levels.

Archived