Looking for advice....

powelly37

Hi everyone,

I have recently left Australia after finishing my 2nd WHV. A month or so before I finished up my employer asked me if I would be keen on being sponsored on a 187. It was a bit late by then as I had already planned 5 months of voluntary work in Vietnam, but I am still keen to take my old employers up on their offer.

What I was wondering is would I be able to enter Aus on a tourist visa and then begin my sponsorship application whilst I am there, so I would then go on to a bridging visa and would be able to work? I know this is a very unusual way of doing it but I would prefer to do this than start my application offshore and have to wait 6 months or more to find out if my application was successful.

Any advice on this would be great!

You could certainly enter Australia on an eVisitor visa and get the ball rolling with a 187 application while you're here but don't count on being able to work while you're waiting for a decision. Bridging visas usually carry the same work conditions as the visa they bridge from which in your case, would be no work. You can apply for Permission to Work on the grounds of hardship but there's no guarantee that it will be granted.

How much longer do you have in Vietnam? Can that be extended? 187s are currently taking 4-6 months for applicants from low risk countries so if your employer gets the RCB application in now and that is followed as quickly as possible by the nomination and visa application, your visa may be pretty close to decision by the time you finish in Vietnam.

Archived