The best time for partner to take IELTS test

kimberlyvanschooten

Hi,

My husband has recently had a possitive result for his skill assesement and he has submitted his EOI this week. We are willing to apply for visa right after getting an invitation. My question is:

- What is the best time for me to take an IELTS test, to prove english proficiency (I am the secondary applicant and we are willing to pay the least ammount of visa fees possible :wink:.

- What is the required score for a secondary applicant.

Thanks in advance!

Kim

You will need to do IELTS or one of the other English tests unless your Masters was done in Australia. You only need to prove that you have Functional English which for IELTS is an average band score of at least 4.5 across the 4 components i.e. an extremely low score so very easy to obtain. The test must have been completed within 12 months of visa application lodgement OR it can be completed during visa application processing.

http://www.immi.gov.au/FAQs/Pages/how-can-i-prove-i-have-functional-english.aspx How can I prove I have functional English?

You will need to do IELTS or one of the other English tests unless your Masters was done in Australia. You only need to prove that you have Functional English which for IELTS is an average band score of at least 4.5 across the 4 components i.e. an extremely low score so very easy to obtain. The test must have been completed within 12 months of visa application lodgement OR it can be completed during visa application processing.

http://www.immi.gov.au/FAQs/Pages/how-can-i-prove-i-have-functional-english.aspx How can I prove I have functional English?

Hi if im not mistajen in ielts test result it was indicated there that is is valid for 3 years ? SO what if you passed it more than 12 months from application does it mean that it is no longer valid? Eventhough the expiratiin is 3 years?

IELTS tests are valid for 3 years for visa eligibility purposes, but for the purpose of proving Functional English to avoid the Second instalment VAC, they must have been done within 12 months. Just a guess, but I'd say that for people at the lower end of the English ability spectrum, any ability they may acquire specifically for that test would disappear pretty quickly and they could land in Australia without enough English to get by if the test was 2 or 3 years old.

IELTS tests are valid for 3 years for visa eligibility purposes, but for the purpose of proving Functional English to avoid the Second instalment VAC, they must have been done within 12 months. Just a guess, but I'd say that for people at the lower end of the English ability spectrum, any ability they may acquire specifically for that test would disappear pretty quickly and they could land in Australia without enough English to get by if the test was 2 or 3 years old.

Thank you for your reply, i just check on the link you just posted about the functional english, im a secondary applicant and i took my ielts last year and i get 6.5 im worried that i cannot use it anymore because it will more than 12 months before we can lodge our visa on June this year, i want to avoid paying the second installment, if ever i will not take ielts anymore i read in the link "

• Completed a degree, a higher degree, a diploma or a trade certificate that required at least two years of full-time study or training in an institution in or outside Australia and all instructions were in English. - i graduated Dentistry in the Philippines i just want to know what is the document i need to pass if i use this qualification? Ty so much

Thanks for your answers OZmaniac. We recently got and invitation to apply for 189. I have planned my IELTS in 2 months. Is it fine to apply for visa right now and take IELTS for functional english later to show to CO?

When do you think it is appropriate to take medical and police check ups?

Regards,

Kim

You can apply for the visa now and do IELTS later.

You can get medicals and PCCs done any time from now on. They're only valid for 12 months and the last date by which you must enter Australia will be calculated as 12 months from the date of your earliest medical or PCC so getting them too early can be a problem with visas with long processing times but 189 processing doesn't take long so you would be safe to get them now.

Thank you for your reply, i just check on the link you just posted about the functional english, im a secondary applicant and i took my ielts last year and i get 6.5 im worried that i cannot use it anymore because it will more than 12 months before we can lodge our visa on June this year, i want to avoid paying the second installment, if ever i will not take ielts anymore i read in the link "

• Completed a degree, a higher degree, a diploma or a trade certificate that required at least two years of full-time study or training in an institution in or outside Australia and all instructions were in English. - i graduated Dentistry in the Philippines i just want to know what is the document i need to pass if i use this qualification? Ty so much

Hi Leah,

Philippine schools issue a document called CERTIFICATE OF ENGLISH AS MEDIUM OF INSTRUCTION. Schools usually already have a format of this. I also graduated in the Philippines and have requested this from my school.

Hi Leah,

Philippine schools issue a document called CERTIFICATE OF ENGLISH AS MEDIUM OF INSTRUCTION. Schools usually already have a format of this. I also graduated in the Philippines and have requested this from my school.

Oh that's awesome, ill just request it from my school then so that i will not retake my ielts again at least i will not spend some$ again, my mistake i took it so early but thank you so much, now i can move on into our next step :) God bless

Archived