Scottish family new to Brisbane

mmck33

Hi all:smile:

We are a family of 3 who moved to Brisbane from Perth, WA in November.

It's been a whirlwind of suburb hunting, house hunting, school hunting, Christmas, New Year, starting new school & job hunting! (Don't envy anyone who has yet to do this!!!!)

Things are beginning to settle down, partner (41) loving new job, son (10) enjoying new school & friends (thank God!), me (33)...primary teacher going through process of having qualifications assessed & desperate to get back to work!

Now things are beginning to resemble normality, looking to meet like minded people who are here, or offer, honest advice about suburbs etc. to anyone who is planning the big move.

Looking forward to hearing from some of you soon!

Have a good day...Marie :)

No idea where Dakabin is...still using the Sat Nav to get me from A to B!

We're getting there...much prefer it to WA but will feel much happier when I'm working.

How have you settled?

Can't believe you have friends from Bonhill...small world! You need to watch those Bonhill folk...lol! :wink:

How long have they been here?

To be honest, I couldn't see myself settling in Perth. That may be to do with the suburb that we were in though.

We did a lot of travelling/exploring when we could & it is stunning but I just didn't find Perth itself very friendly.

I also felt that it was fantastically geared towards young families, young clubbers or diners but there wasn't much variety (apart from Fremantle!).

Over here, there is something for everyone & it's so lush & green! I love it...I just got a really good feeling about it when we arrived. People are much friendler & it's much more vibrant.

It all depends what you are looking for, though! Hope this helps (& doesn't offend!!!) :)

To be honest, I couldn't see myself settling in Perth. That may be to do with the suburb that we were in though.

We did a lot of travelling/exploring when we could & it is stunning but I just didn't find Perth itself very friendly.

I also felt that it was fantastically geared towards young families, young clubbers or diners but there wasn't much variety (apart from Fremantle!).

Over here, there is something for everyone & it's so lush & green! I love it...I just got a really good feeling about it when we arrived. People are much friendler & it's much more vibrant.

It all depends what you are looking for, though! Hope this helps (& doesn't offend!!!) :)

Thanks for that. No offence. Not one of those pained at others giving out their realities with regards to a geographic location, even if I live there myself. Agree with much of your commentary. Just didn't imagine Brisbane would be so notably different.

Thanks for that. No offence. Not one of those pained at others giving out their realities with regards to a geographic location, even if I live there myself. Agree with much of your commentary. Just didn't imagine Brisbane would be so notably different.

It is completely different, actually feels like we are living in a different country!

I wouldn't have believed it until we'd experienced it ourselves. :)

Hi mmck33, Myself and my Australian partner (from Brisbane) are moving back there in December 2015 (with our two dogs).

We are hoping to settle either in Chelmer (we had friends that lived there so know it is a lovely place) or considering the North Side. My partner is originally from Salisbury which is on the South side.

My partner is a senior special needs teacher so it depends on where she is placed before we know where we will settle.

Looking forward to spending the day at South Bank again.

Hi, I currently work in a primary school as a teaching assistant at Level 3. The qualification I have is Level 3 diploma in supporting teaching and learning in schools. Would I be able to get into Australia with this qualification? If you are unsure please could you tell me where I may find this information? Thank you

Hi, I currently work in a primary school as a teaching assistant at Level 3. The qualification I have is Level 3 diploma in supporting teaching and learning in schools. Would I be able to get into Australia with this qualification? If you are unsure please could you tell me where I may find this information? Thank you

I would have no idea. Best to look on the skills list or speak to a migration agent or embassy. Perhaps someone on here can answer your question, sorry.

Hi mmck33, I'm Jackie. Moving to the Redlands area, just south of Brisbane (hopefully in October this year). My partner grew up in Cleveland, a beautiful coastal town about 40 mins south of Brisbane. We're heading to that area after a reccy trip in November confirmed that's where we wanted to be. Hope you find a suitable place for your family. Xx

Archived