309/100 visa and thinking about jobs

CameronsDad

Folks

im compiling my application for the 309/100 Partner visa, and although my company are still hoping to transfer me, I am all too aware that I may need to go and find a new job if and when my current employer breaks the bad news.

Do do any of you have experience of job hunting from the UK whilst waiting for your 309 (or de facto), or is it a case of having to be in Aus before employers take you seriously?

thanks

Folks

im compiling my application for the 309/100 Partner visa, and although my company are still hoping to transfer me, I am all too aware that I may need to go and find a new job if and when my current employer breaks the bad news.

Do do any of you have experience of job hunting from the UK whilst waiting for your 309 (or de facto), or is it a case of having to be in Aus before employers take you seriously?

thanks

Hi CameronsDad,

When did you lodge your Visa? There is a whole link dedicated to the 309/100 visa from the UK which you should ask the same question on.

I'm in the final stages of the visa process. I am hoping that my visa will come though by the end of Feb. Knowing that the 28 of feb would be the end of 9 month time frame, I started to apply for jobs in Oz in September.

The issue that I have found and this may only be in my profession, is that the employers normally need or want someone to start straight away. Whenever I have applied for a job the same question keeps getting asked and that is when are you relocating to OZ? Do i have full rights to work in OZ.

Now inform them that I'll be heading out in march and yes I will have full rights, only if my visa is granted. As soon as they read that sentence or hear it over the phone they always say contact me when i get there.

What i have do is organize a number of meetings for when I get over there. I would say apply for as many jobs as you can as it will take a number a weeks/months to get a job and seeing as Oz have just announced an increase in the unemployment figures and a struggling economy then it won't hurt.

I will be applying like mad once I'm out there as I can go for interviews./

I hope this helps

If you don't have a visa to work (or even if you do!) you have buckley's chance of securing a job before you arrive in Australia (unless your job is in HIGH demand and you are highly skilled). The unemployment rate is rising and employers generally want someone to start ASAP as has been stated.

Even when you have a 309/820 and are applying for jobs in Australia expect to find it quite difficult unless you are happy doing any kinda work. Australia are very big on people having "local experience". This was one of the excuses my partner was given all the time "we want people with local experience" even though he was told by a lot of recruiters before we arrived that he wouldn't have any issues! Another problem we had was that most employers only wanted to hire people that had PR and didn't like people on "temporary" visas.

Archived