swapping from 457 to PR

excitedbutterrified

I am shortly going to be starting a new job in Melbourne, moving from the UK on a 457 with my wife and 2 pre school kids.

At the time I was offered the job, I was told they would sponsor me through a PR visa at my cost, or 457 at their cost. Due to the fact the missus was on maternity leave, we had no spare money to fund the PR so went with the 457. Now however, my wife is back now on full pay, and we are in the process of selling a flat, which should leave us a few spare quid, so could afford the PR.

Looking at the cost of childcare (which will be one of our main outgoings), and the childcare rebate we would get on a PR, it would pay for the extra costs of applying for the VISA after just a few months. If we had the up front cash, it would have been a no brainer (however we really didn't have the cash). Now its too late to get a PR in time, so we will be going on the 457.

My question is : is it possible to begin a PR application once we arrive in Australia on the 457. I know there is a transition stream from 457 to PR after 2 years, but can a different visa be applied for as soon after we arrive?

Cheers

You can go down the skilled migration route, or the direct employer sponsored route, both options could be started now if eligible.

Direct employer sponsorship 186 will require a positive skills assessment and 3 years work experience, there is also about 6 month processing time once application is lodged.

The transition stream after working for 2 years for the same employer will make you exempt from the skills assessment, which is the same visa as the direct route.

Do you hold a positive skills assessment?

Thanks.

As far as I know, we haven't had a skills assessment. I did have to provide degree certificates etc.. and CV + employer experience letters for the 457, is that similar?

No that's not the skills assessment but just the information required for 457 visa.

you need to apply to the appropriate assessing authority to get your skills assessed, what is your occupation?

I'm an electronics engineer (Meng degree), 11 years experience working in scientific research lab.

Wife is a Doctor, soon to become a consultant paediatrician.

Your occupation would be assessed by Engineers Australia, if your degree is covered under Washington Accord the skills assessment will be quite simple just sending off your degree certificates, if not you will need to complete the CDR, 3 career episodes and this takes 16 wks to come back.

excited butterfield I can't really offer much advice as I'm no expert on the matter but I currently am on a 457 visa that was granted in april 2014, my employer has let me go because they weren't meeting my sponsorship requirements regarding pay, I am in a relationship with an aussie and we were looking at applying for a partner visa because I'm finding it really hard to find a new sponsor, I was told by the immigration dept that I would still have to remain sponsored until the partner visa is granted (12-15 months). i am on the verge of applying for financial hardship as were expecting a baby and soon the missue will be on maternity leave so i'll be the only only able to work but without a job.