Moving to Australia & continuing to work for company in the UK?

LindsG

Hi Everyone...

New to the forum to join in, but have always had a sneak peak when needing some questions answered and found really helpful, so thanks!

We have just submitted an EOI for a 189 visa, (my husband is an aircraft engineer so going on the back of him) everything is done, ILETS, Vetassas etc and we are going in with 65 points. Hopefully we will get invited pretty quickly and then we can get our Medicals and Police Checks under way!

Anyway, I have told the company I work for that I am leaving already as I work for a small company and have one of those jobs that does a bit of everything and would be a bit difficult for someone else to just walk into. I have already agreed to work for them until the beginning of September, so the plan is to go then. However they have offered me to work remotely from Australia so they can keep me on in some capacity. So, I wondered whether anyone had any experience with that, and if I was to do that, what would be the pitfalls of doing this money wise etc? Would I have to work for them on a freelance basis or would they pay me in the UK as they always have done, and then I would transfer? It's something I need to have a chat with them about, and I am sure they will have their own opinions but if anyone has any experience with this, or knows any pitfalls so that I can be prepared for just so I'm not getting myself into a situation that doesn't work very well...

Many Thanks for listening!

L

I am interested as I am about to tell my employer and would not be surprised if they suggested something similar. I have quite a lot of client contact though so not sure it would be really practical because of the time differences. I take it that you have no such constraints or don't mind the thought of working nights.

I have a lot of client contact, but it is more e-mail based than anything else really, and my employers don't seem to mind... suggesting to work say 12noon - 8pm maybe so I have a couple of hours of overlap with the UK office so I can chat with them. I'm not sure whether in the long run it would work, but think it might be a bit of security whilst we make the move! They would also want me to travel home once a year for an event we organise plus a couple of trips to America as this is what I do currently within my role, so I wouldn't really be able to work out in Oz to top my money which is the issue and worried the English wage won't support the Australian lifestyle... we are aiming to move to Gold Coast!

Archived