What is a Difference Between NT SS 489 & 190

sun2

The basic and most important difference is that a 190 is a permanent visa. A 489 is a provisional visa and only leads to a permanent visa if you live in an eligible regional area for 2 years and work full time in the regional area for at ;east 1 year so that you meet the eligibility requirements for an application for an 887 visa. You are only eligible for Medicare on a 489 if you are from a country with reciprocal health care rights. On a 489, you are also not eligible for Family tax benefits, assistance with childcare expenses and tertiary tuition as a domestic student.

If this is for the Northern Territory....they are being very strict on the applicants for a 190 showing they already have ties to NT i.e. family living there or have completed some university there....applicants who cannot show this are being offered the 489 visa instead. Its seems like they have had enough of 190 applicants deciding to move to the east coast and have put in place ways to stop them "jumping state" until the two years is up.

I guess you are right Scattley. As I also filed my application as NT SS 190 and only this morning got a news that they have offered me 489 and given me a time frame of 28 days to confirm if I would be interested to apply in this category.

Since I'd be moving in with my wife and an 8yrs old son, I need to know the advantages and disadvantage of 489.

Keeping mind the fact that, something is better than nothing I am quite convinced to lock 489.

But anyone out there would like to a add a few suggestions/advise would make things clearer for me.

Cheers,

Hi Sun2

I had the same experience. Got a 489 instead of 190. On the bright side; its comparatively easier to find jobs here if your willing to work hard. In a blink of an eye 8 months have past since i came here and its been a good experience so far.

I guess you are right Scattley. As I also filed my application as NT SS 190 and only this morning got a news that they have offered me 489 and given me a time frame of 28 days to confirm if I would be interested to apply in this category.

Since I'd be moving in with my wife and an 8yrs old son, I need to know the advantages and disadvantage of 489.

Keeping mind the fact that, something is better than nothing I am quite convinced to lock 489.

But anyone out there would like to a add a few suggestions/advise would make things clearer for me.

Cheers,

hi guys ,

i have just received my 489 visa and I'm a little puzzled , i understand that its 2 yrs and then i can apply for permanent visa. do i have to do an other 4 yrs on that visa before i can apply for citizenship ? or can you apply after 2 yrs giving a total of 4 yrs in total ? and once you have the permanent visa do you still have to live in NT? I'm really worried how I'm going to cope on my own for that long as everyone i know lives in perth and I'm worried about the heat ha , how are you coping ?

thanks for any advice and help.

hi guys ,

i have just received my 489 visa and I'm a little puzzled , i understand that its 2 yrs and then i can apply for permanent visa. do i have to do an other 4 yrs on that visa before i can apply for citizenship ? or can you apply after 2 yrs giving a total of 4 yrs in total ? and once you have the permanent visa do you still have to live in NT? I'm really worried how I'm going to cope on my own for that long as everyone i know lives in perth and I'm worried about the heat ha , how are you coping ?

thanks for any advice and help.

The 4 years for citizenship can be on a combination of any visa/s(Student, Visitor, 457, 489 or whatever) provided there have been no periods during that time when you had no visa and provided that the last 12 months were as a PR. Once you have the permanent visa, you are completely free to live and work anywhere in Australia in any occupation (or not at all if you wish).

I had a similar situation got 489 instead of a 190, filed my 489 ss and moved from vic in Dec!! Filed EOI 23/12/14 of course post invitation, CO allocated on 11/2/15!! Rough time frame by Dibp is 3 months(23/3/15). CO requested for AFP, submitted next day & haven't heard anything frm GSM Brisbane processing centre!! Any similar experiences guys if can share!! Rough time frame for finalizing & making a decision or is it sit wait and watch until 23/3/15 until any response rec'd...:((

Archived