It has to start somewhere...

PinkGorilla

Well I've submitted an application for a really great looking job based in Sydney (currently living in the UK).

The closest I've ever got with an Oz job is a telephone interview with a screening agent.

I'm hopeful I can get further this time. I really suit the role - so it's down to how much do the want me - and do they want the complexities of sponsoring etc...

Pink.

I would suggest you do some research.

First, are you confident your role is eligible for sponsorship?

second, are you aware what sponsorship is - it is normally a temporary visa valid for up to 4 years with no autmatic right to permanent residence.

Many 457 applicants could apply for a permanent visa.

I would suggest you do some research.

First, are you confident your role is eligible for sponsorship?

second, are you aware what sponsorship is - it is normally a temporary visa valid for up to 4 years with no autmatic right to permanent residence.

Many 457 applicants could apply for a permanent visa.

I'm not sure... you are absolutely right I need to do my homework on this.

Permanent would be preferable, rather than the risk of having to leave in 4 years.

Pink

But what would be your actual occupation in terms of the SOL or CSOL? And do you have the required level of qualifications in that occupation? If your occupation is not on one of the lists, you cannot get a visa even if you have a job offer and an employer who is willing to sponsor you. If it is on one of the lists, it's possible that you could get a permanent visa without employer sponsorship.

http://www.immi.gov.au/Work/Pages/skilled-occupations-lists/skilled-occupations-lists.aspx Skilled Occupation lists

But what would be your actual occupation in terms of the SOL or CSOL? And do you have the required level of qualifications in that occupation? If your occupation is not on one of the lists, you cannot get a visa even if you have a job offer and an employer who is willing to sponsor you. If it is on one of the lists, it's possible that you could get a permanent visa without employer sponsorship.

http://www.immi.gov.au/Work/Pages/skilled-occupations-lists/skilled-occupations-lists.aspx Skilled Occupation lists

Thanks for your post. I've had a good look at the skills list, and it has me stumped. My expertise is in a niche area; and unlisted. Possibly one of the engineering themes or IT/ design could the the route; but I don't know. I know others in my field have gone out to work on Oz, so will try to find out how thry did it.

Lets see how my application progresses, if they want me, there is always a way ;-).

• 2 weeks later...

They don't want me.

Don't take it too badly - without the feedback you won't know. Maybe they did want you but can't provide sponsorship. Maybe they did want you, but there's an equally well qualified candidate locally...lots of maybes..there's a lot of cost involved in getting someone out from the UK, maybe you were the best candidate but they just couldn't justify the cost...maybe they need someone who can start next month...maybe they've had a bad experience with bringing Brits over before

If you want it badly enough then you'll just have to keep going at it..but do listen to the advice you've been given and make 100% sure that your job role/skillset will qualify you for a visa.

It's hard enough finding a job from the other side of the world but if you're also looking for sponsorship, that adds a whole new dimension to the degree of difficulty. Many Australian employers have no experience with sponsorship and have no idea of the costs or the processes involved so they perhaps understandably put applications like yours into the 'too hard' basket. It's not that they don't want you; it's probably just that someone who already have the right to work in Australia seems much easier to employ.

I think the first thing you need to do is to work out what your occupation is in terms of the CSOL. Without that, you can't tell if you have an occupation that is eligible for a visa and/or what kind of visa could be possible. With luck, it may be one that is on a state list which may mean that a state sponsored visa without employer sponsorship could be an option for you. IMO, the best way to identify your occupation is to start by finding possibilities on the CSOL then check the ANZSCO list which will tell you the task profile for those occupations and also the level of qualifications you will need. A word of warning though; many listings on ANZSCO say something like "At least 'n' years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above" but for skills assessment and visa purposes, that is rarely the case. When you've identified an occupation that's on the CSOL and for which you seem to have the required qualifications and/or work experience, check the ANZSCOSearch site to see if any state has it listed. Then come back to us for the next steps.

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Previousproducts/1220.0Contents02006?opendocument&tabname=Summary&prodno=1220.0&issue=2006&num=&view= ANZSCO

https://www.anzscosearch.com/ ANZSCOSearch

Without hijacking the thread, I'm on my partners' 457, my occupation is on the CSOL list, would I be able to apply for PR without being "nominated" or would we have to go down the route of being "nominated" by my partners employer?

You can apply in your own right and if granted your partner would have PR too - the 457 would be cancelled so there is a possibility your partners employer may not be happy on the other hand my employer gave me a $20k pay rise when my partner got PR

What stream would I have to apply via?

Basically my partner's employer will only nominate for (and pay) PR after 3 years but if there is a way we can apply after 2 years, even if independently, it's something we would like to do.

E.g. I work in my current occupation listed on CSOL list, after two years I could ask my employer to nominate me for my PR therefore negating my partner being tied to her employer for another year?

@ciaranmacgiolla I could only apply for PR after 2 years on my 457 but it's just when my partner or I apply, based on whoever can get it the quickest....

Archived