175 and Divorce

cazhoney

Hello,

it has been a few years since the last time I was here at PomsinOz.

My name is Carolina and I am from Brazil.

I obtained the 175 visa. When I applied, I was married. I was the main applicant. I haven´t moved to Australia yet, but I am planning to move in 2015.

Do I have to tell DIAC about the divorce?

I have a boyfriend now, for almost one year. He wants to move to Australia as well. Can I add him under my visa? (Not sure how to ask this in English...)

Thanks in advance, if anyone could help me....:frown:

Carolina

If the divorce was after you validated your visa, there is no need to tell DIBP.

As regards to your boyfriend, you can't add him to your visa, but will need to apply for a partner visa.

You will need to show that you have been in a defacto relationship for 12 months before applying, DIBP expect that this time should be living together.

Offshore processing of partner visas are around 10-14 months, but this could be longer from Brazil.

Hello

thank you for the reply.

I have validated my visa while I was still married.

But I guess if I apply for a partner visa, I will have to say that I have been through a divorce.

Can we move to Australia (he with a student visa) and ask for a partner visa from there?

Hello

thank you for the reply.

I have validated my visa while I was still married.

But I guess if I apply for a partner visa, I will have to say that I have been through a divorce.

Can we move to Australia (he with a student visa) and ask for a partner visa from there?

Yes, but would check the restrictions on his student visa if he is able to apply for a further visa onshore. Also the cost of the onshore Partner visa is very high, almost $7000aud

Some Student visas have a condition attached that prevents a further visa application while the student is onshore on that visa. There's no way of knowing if a visa will have that condition before it is granted and no way of having it removed if one is imposed. Also, when an onshore Partner visa is applied for, the applicant is granted a Bridging visa that allows them to stay in Australia with unrestricted work rights until the Partner visa application is decided BUT, the BV only takes effect when the Student visa expires, not if it is cancelled for any reason. That means that he could stay in Australia but while the SV is still valid, would be subject to the attendance and work restrictions that apply to the Student visa.

Archived