People who made the move on their own

GeoSurfer

Yet another 'is x amount enough money to live/survive/have a 100m heated pool' thread I'm afraid, but I don't want to give you a figure and ask you to guess how I'll do but share your own experiences of how little was too little. I know there are threads on this already and I have read these with interest, however, most of them related to families or couples making the move which I can't really relate to - my food, utilities, clothes, medical, holiday costs etc will all be lower when living alone than a family or couples. I see threads where people are told that they can eke a living on under $50k a year and then in another thread they are told that they'll just about manage with double that amount. I suspect the truth for most will lie between the two.

I know that this varies up and down the country, as it does anywhere in the world (I'm pretty sure $60k might be fine in Brisbane but Sydney is another thing entirely), but I'd just like to hear from people how they found it, especially on their own. Those who came with others are of course encouraged to give their thoughts too!

I would suggest making a personalised budget... we all have different needs and wants, income and outgoings, and there are many variables which will be individual.

There are several spreadsheets floating about the place if you want a guide for things like utility bills.

Where are you heading to?

I have generated a fairly detailed spreadsheet myself using bits and pieces from others who did the same and I know, in theory, what sort of situation I'd be in. But I don't think the figures will show the whole story. Even if you knew exactly the house you were going to, things like utilities could be wildly different from things as trivial as which way the window(s) face so I accept it'll be a little bit of a leap of faith no matter how much I plan.

I don't really know how much 'wiggle room' I'd have if costs of things were higher than expected so I'm hoping people who have had low incomes will be able to shed light on how low you can realistically manage with if it comes to it.

As for where, it depends on where the work is, but if the opportunity arises, Brisbane is my first choice.

If I were you,I would go on realestate.com.au,and look at some houses/flats or whatever to see what the costs are in the area you'd like to live. Look at Seek or other agencies to see what they are offering in your chosen field of work.Do a virtual shop either with Coles or Woolworths.

I get by reasonably well in Sydney on $500 net per week with no rent or mortgage to worry about but I don't save much. I could stay in more in the evenings of course and get rid of Foxtel.

I guesstimate a single person who has to pay rent needs about $1 000 per week in Sydney.

Archived