Newbie and looking to move from Scotland to Melbourne

MrsWood

Hi I am new here and looking for lots of help. I am a newly wedd and looking to move to Melbourne. I am a ICU nurse with almost 4 years post grad experience all in ICU. My Husband is just finishing his geography degree and possibly doing his teacher training year here. We are lookig to love in abouf 1.5 years so trying to start planning and saving now. We will be letting out flat out here and taking our dog with us. Looking for information on what Visa to get - contacts in any hospitals in Melbourne and generally any tips & advice anyone can give us. What would an average 2 bed place cost to rent in Melbourne etc . Thank you xxx

If you want to just work there for a while it should be reasonably easy for you to get a 457 visa as a nurse and that would give your hubby work rights too but if you are looking for a permanent move then a skilled independent visa would be the best option - it is points based and you have to do a skills assessment but from what you have said I would think you would qualify.

Your OH may be better off doing his teacher training in Australia - I do know some teachers have had problems with UK degrees/PGCE's - there is a teachers thread on here where you can get advice. The thing is if he is going to be teaching in Australia it makes sense to be trained in the Australian curriculum anyway and that may make getting a job easier. Again it depends on whether you are planning a permanent move.

I am going to hazard a guess you are under 30 so a WHV is also an option, cheap, quick and you can live in Australia up to 2 years (with certain conditions). It would be a good 'try before you buy' option and there is a fair chance as a nurse you would find a sponsor over there if you wanted to stay on after the two years.

I lived in Perth so can't help with Melbourne rental costs but look at www.realestate.com.au - be aware rentals are quoted weekly that catches some people out.

I replied here but not sure why it didn't work - I am 31 husband 33 - The scottish teacher training is valid in Oz as its a 4 year degree same as one in Oz unlike the English degree that is 3. To do teacher training its 31000 aus dollars ! Eeek. Looking to move over for 5 years or permenantly and I would want to work in ICU, I read that ICU nurses require a post grad to work in ICU in Oz unlike scotland ?

A 189/190 visa sounds like your best bet then. To be honest a lot of nurses have been quite successful in gaining permanent residency after a 457 so I wouldn't rule it out since you have no children and are keeping your flat, if something did go wrong (eg lost your job) you could move back and apply for PR at that point if you wanted to return.

Hopefully someone will be along to answer your ICU question when Australia wakes up :)

@Happy Heart can you help? Or @ali

I replied here but not sure why it didn't work - I am 31 husband 33 - The scottish teacher training is valid in Oz as its a 4 year degree same as one in Oz unlike the English degree that is 3. To do teacher training its 31000 aus dollars ! Eeek. Looking to move over for 5 years or permenantly and I would want to work in ICU, I read that ICU nurses require a post grad to work in ICU in Oz unlike scotland ?

I'm not sure about the post grad - being a registered nurse would be enough but as it's a competitive job market then experience will be essential. If you're coming on your OH's skills you won't need to do a skills assessment just register with AHPRA. They changed their rules last year and direct registration is only to degree nurses. Dip nurses can either do a bridging course or I think agree to registration with supervision attached.

I'm not sure about the post grad - being a registered nurse would be enough but as it's a competitive job market then experience will be essential. If you're coming on your OH's skills you won't need to do a skills assessment just register with AHPRA. They changed their rules last year and direct registration is only to degree nurses. Dip nurses can either do a bridging course or I think agree to registration with supervision attached.

I will have 6 years post grad ICU experience the time I move over ! Yeah I heard about AHPRAH and the changes - looking to stay in ICU and either gain a sponcered visa or I may join healthcare Australia which a few of my friends have done but they do this to travel I would want a perm base and travel on my annual leave to Other parts of Australia to see the sights and go to Japan /Thailand /China etc -

Archived