IELTS question please

adele244

My hubby has just done his first practice writing IELTS test.......Oh dear this is gonna be fun.....NOT!

It was not good by any stretch :arghh:

I am hoping that someone who has done the test could please answer this question... When you do the writing test do you get a spare sheet to write it rough, correct errors etc then rewrite it on the answer sheet? Or does it have to be done straight away on the answer sheet - no roughs?

I am hoping it is not the latter, as there will be cross outs and corrections all over the shop!!

Many thanks x

My hubby has just done his first practice writing IELTS test.......Oh dear this is gonna be fun.....NOT!

It was not good by any stretch :arghh:

I am hoping that someone who has done the test could please answer this question... When you do the writing test do you get a spare sheet to write it rough, correct errors etc then rewrite it on the answer sheet? Or does it have to be done straight away on the answer sheet - no roughs?

I am hoping it is not the latter, as there will be cross outs and corrections all over the shop!!

Many thanks x

As far as I remember to have to write in straight into the answer booklet I'm afraid. When it comes to time it's really not on your side in the ielts. I struggled getting the content done once in the time allocated. Keep practising, and time yourself especially in the reading sections. There are lots of practice tests out there on the Internet. Good luck

There is nowhere near enough time to write a draft and rewrite it again. I am a reasonably strong writer and struggled with the time restrictions. It's okay to take a couple minutes to jot down a few ideas on the side as to what your piece will be about (like the main points).

The trick is to leave a line blank here and there and make sure the words are spaced out so that you can fit extra bits in later on if need be. Also, it is essential to keep track of the word count. Each time I counted, I put a little star next to each 50th word to save me recounting. Practice doing this is crucial because you can start to recognise what a couple hundred words looks like in your own handwriting.

You can write in pencil n rub out but you need to submit everything u write..u can get extra pieces of paper though..I just wrote it as it came into my head but I write alot for wrk..if he doesn't do it everyday then the practice questions will help..the more practice n prepared he is the less nervous he will be n that will help too

Have a look through the IELTS threads here... someone was saying recently that they thought the writing test was much harder than the others, until they worked out a technique for doing it.

Sounds like practice pays off, and there are loads of websites and books that can help.

Hi, I did my IELTS a few months ago. I paid to attend a two hour course prior to the exam which was aimed at native English speakers who needed to get an 8+ for emigration purposes. It was run at a local language school, by an IELTS examiner and I think I was sent info on it after I'd booked for the exam. I think it was about £60. it was very useful for the writing and I came away with some useful practice material. One of the most useful sheets I was given was what is basically a colour coded 'plan' for writing an essay. I familiarised myself with this plan and was able to use it to construct an essay on any subject I was given- I was lucky with the subject matter in the actual exam and rattled off an essay easily using my plan and got a 9. I am happy to colour scan this sheet tomorrow in work and email if to you if you pm me with your email address. I do recall I wrote a lot out first onto a spare sheet (or possibly even onto the question sheet) before I transferred it onto the answer sheet, but I write very fast.

For the reading and writing I practiced practiced practiced and was aware that the questions do try to catch you out so I looked out for this. If husband needs to get 8+ then I would recommend one of these courses, you may find out more info by contacting the centre where'll he'll sit the exam.

There is loads of stuff online, definitely look at some of the videos for the speaking bit.

Does he HAVE to take IELTS? Can't it be PTE or TOEFL? As far as I know, immigration is now accepting these two tests instead of IELTS, at least for skilled immigration, and those tests are way better than IELTS. PTE, for instance, is all online and does not try to trick you at every turn as is the case with most IELTS' questions.

That is fantastic advice guys, thank you so much I really appreciate that. Serendipity....Thank you so much for the offer of showing showing us your papers, that is extremely kind of you.

However, I totally forgot there are more options now (Thanks for that Tavio) and I have just been looking at the PTE test with hubby and the colour is starting to return to his face (it totally drained away after the practice tests!!!!) :biglaugh:

We think that the PTE is going to be a much better option especially as it can be typed rather than written... (I can hear my Dad right now saying...."Thats the ruddy problem these days nobody has to write owt all done on pc's! thats why folk cant write and spell!!!)" but this will be perfect, its a tenner more than the IELTS.

The only drawback is that there is not as much practice material out there and offers of advice from kind PIO folk as it is so new.

Thanks again guys really appreciate your help........We are not doomed yet!!!!!!

Archived