After 176 right to re-enter expired

Mirko Bud

Hi,

I am trying to figure this out but I cannot find anyone in my same situation.

My 176 will.expire in nov 2015, so it is my understanding that by that date I will have to be in oz or out.

I couldn't use my visa for personal reasons till now, so I am living in Europe.

Will there be any way in the future to re enter Australia after the 5 years?

Let's say I want to go in Oz for tourism in 3 years for a couple of weeks, is there any way to do it?

Thanks in advance.

If you only want to keep your Permanent Residence so that you can travel to Australia for a few weeks after an absence of many years, why bother? Just get a Visitor visa. If you want to actually move back to Australia, you may be able to get a Resident Return visa but it's just not worth the effort for a short visit.

http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/155-157.aspx

I see. I was under the impression that if I would be allowed to enter Australia again (even on a tourist visa) I would have been able to stay there even after the 5 years, given the fact that I hold a permanent resident visa. I wouldn't bother in fact, but I had not clear that I could re-enter as a tourist.

So for clarity's sake. I can still ask for a tourist visa while.holding a 176 visa. And the two are indipendent?

If you enter on a Visitor visa and do nothing else after you arrive, you will be required to leave Australia when the period of stay allowed by the Visitor visa expires. There has been a lot of discussion on this point in another recent thread. I'll see if I can find it and attach a link.

Archived