Help please! 189 skilled independent visa questions

conandviv

Can anyone give me an idea of how long their 189 skilled independent visa took to process?

I believe they're valid for five years from date of issue, is that correct?

If it includes my husband and two kids, does it permit my husband to work when we get there?

Does my husband's age affect whether they will grant me the visa? He will be 49 when we intend to make the move?

Thanks again :-)

Once 189 is lodged your prob looking at 3-4 months processing, but to get to that stage can take a same amount of time. As you are not in a hurry to get to Australia would be advisable to wait until CO requests for medicals and police checks to give you max time to validate your visas.

visas are valid for 5 years from the date of grant but you have 12 months from the earliest date of medicals or police checks to validate visa by making first entry which can be done with short holiday.

Your husband will have full work rights and it will not matter about his age, this will have no impact on getting visa or not, but he requires to have functional english, which a UK passport will prove.

Once 189 is lodged your prob looking at 3-4 months processing, but to get to that stage can take a same amount of time. As you are not in a hurry to get to Australia would be advisable to wait until CO requests for medicals and police checks to give you max time to validate your visas.

visas are valid for 5 years from the date of grant but you have 12 months from the earliest date of medicals or police checks to validate visa by making first entry which can be done with short holiday.

Your husband will have full work rights and it will not matter about his age, this will have no impact on getting visa or not, but he requires to have functional english, which a UK passport will prove.

Great, thanks, that's really useful and reassuring! Apologies if I'm being extremely thick but what does CO stand for?

This forum is full of people doing (or have already done) what you plan to do, so you're in the right place. If you search through 'migration issues' and go through any threads about 189 or 190 'month' you should pick up a lot of the right kind of info.

Good luck!

Yep I'm on the Jan 189 conandviv!

This forum is full of people doing (or have already done) what you plan to do, so you're in the right place. If you search through 'migration issues' and go through any threads about 189 or 190 'month' you should pick up a lot of the right kind of info.

Good luck!

Brilliant, thanks for pointing me in the right direction! :-)

Guest Guest100417
Can anyone give me an idea of how long their 189 skilled independent visa took to process?

I believe they're valid for five years from date of issue, is that correct?

If it includes my husband and two kids, does it permit my husband to work when we get there?

Does my husband's age affect whether they will grant me the visa? He will be 49 when we intend to make the move?

Thanks again :-)

Hi there,

This isn't a quick process at all. I started the ball rolling in February last year when I booked the IELTS test for April, got the results back mid May. On return from Vietnam (nice to find out that I passed while away) we collated all of the information required for the skills assessment and because I'm a nurse, this was through AHPRA. I can't remember how long that took but wasn't too bad and only held up with having to post extra documents to Australia which very surprisingly only took about 1 week to get there. Once you have had your skills assessed by the appropriate body then you can express an interest if you meet the points requirement. You will unfortunately lose points for your age as between 30-32 is the highest scoring range but if you both take the IELTS then you can gain extra points. Once we submitted the expression of interest in October it was pretty much quiet until we got asked to get the medicals done and the police checks and finally granted this week (20th January) so in all with the booking in February took 11 months.

Hope this helps, Tom

Hi there,

This isn't a quick process at all. I started the ball rolling in February last year when I booked the IELTS test for April, got the results back mid May. On return from Vietnam (nice to find out that I passed while away) we collated all of the information required for the skills assessment and because I'm a nurse, this was through AHPRA. I can't remember how long that took but wasn't too bad and only held up with having to post extra documents to Australia which very surprisingly only took about 1 week to get there. Once you have had your skills assessed by the appropriate body then you can express an interest if you meet the points requirement. You will unfortunately lose points for your age as between 30-32 is the highest scoring range but if you both take the IELTS then you can gain extra points. Once we submitted the expression of interest in October it was pretty much quiet until we got asked to get the medicals done and the police checks and finally granted this week (20th January) so in all with the booking in February took 11 months.

Hope this helps, Tom

Congratulations on having your visa granted and good luck with your move! Thanks for the information :-)

Hi there,

Hope this helps, Tom

That's not right. Only the main visa applicant does IELTS for the points.

Guest Guest100417

That was an option for us that we both sat the IELTS test to get better points but didn't need to as we had 80 and enough to apply. This was the advice sought from an agent who we didn't use in the end but I assure you it is right.

Tom

That was an option for us that we both sat the IELTS test to get better points but didn't need to as we had 80 and enough to apply. This was the advice sought from an agent who we didn't use in the end but I assure you it is right.

Tom

Are talking about pre-SkillSelect days? I'm not sure about the rules before that time.

If you're talking post-SkillSelect days, then I think you've been mis-informed by the agent. Unless your partner didn't have competent English and took the IELTS tests along with their own skills assessment to gain an extra 5 points.

Archived