Perth Suburb advice

Lara Quartel

Hi,

I'm a student in the UK and my partner is a mechanic. We are moving to Perth in October and looking for suburbs to live in. Ideally near the universities (UWA preference), near the beach and also out of the city. Was thinking of Scarborough but looking for suggestions.

Thanks!

Scarborough is a good choice for a young couple without children, it's fairly pricy but if you are only looking to rent and are happy in a flat you should do okay. There are quite a lot of travellers in Scarborough and it gives it quite a good atmosphere - IMHO a lot of the Perth suburbs are dead but Scarborough isn't one of them.

Fremantle is also a good option.

If you can't quite afford those then look at the surrounding suburbs where you may be a 5 min drive away but at much lower prices.

• 3 weeks later...
Where will you be working? traffic in and out of scarbs is a nightmare most of the time and it will take a LONG time to get to the freeway in peak hour traffic.

If you live in Scarbs you would be nuts to think about the freeway if you were going into town or heading towards UWA. I work near UWA, live a lot further North than Scarbs and use West Coast Highway all the time. Nice drive, couple of holdups but not many people seem stressed as the speed limit is quite low anyway. You have the Ocean on one side of you for most of the drive. Takes me about 40 minutes to get to Stirling Highway, near UWA. Never dream of trying to use the freeway.

Scarborough would be a decent choice, so would Freo. Wouldn't take that long to get to UWA. The suburbs nearer UWA and near the beach are pretty expensive. I'm thinking Cottelsoe and City Beach, you would need a Mill to even get a foot in the door.

The further North or South you travel the cheaper it will be. You can still be near some great beaches and in a lively area, just your travel time will be more. There is a good Uni at Joondalup with a nice campus, modern buildings, good courses and you could have a lot cheaper options around there.

Where will you be working? traffic in and out of scarbs is a nightmare most of the time and it will take a LONG time to get to the freeway in peak hour traffic.

Scarbs beach road is a nightmare in the morning, and I'm there about 6:30.

Bloody traffic lights.

Archived