457 visa cancelation (working rights)

kay1987

Hi all, I have a query regarding the 457 visa. I currently hold a 457 visa which is due to come to an end and will need to find a new sponsor which I believe should be within 90 days after my current sponsorship ceases. My query is whether I would have working rights during these 90 days. I would appreciate if anyone could shed some light on this.

Thanks in advance.

Kay

Hi VERYSTORMY, thanks for your response. I have been working with my current employer for only 9 months and things are not going well. I am currently also trying to pass my IELTS test to get my required score so I think I am limited with my choices at the moment.

A 457 requires you to work only for the sponsoring employer in the nominated occupation. If you lose or leave your job, you can't work for anyone else until you are granted another work visa

When does the 457 itself expire? if you haven't already applied for another visa of some kind before then, you will have to leave Australia.

Hi VERYSTORMY, thanks for your response. I have been working with my current employer for only 9 months and things are not going well. I am currently also trying to pass my IELTS test to get my required score so I think I am limited with my choices at the moment.

Do you need a skills assessment?

A 457 requires you to work only for the sponsoring employer in the nominated occupation. If you lose or leave your job, you can't work for anyone else until you are granted another work visa

When does the 457 itself expire? if you haven't already applied for another visa of some kind before then, you will have to leave Australia.

Hi, thanks for your response, my visa has not been cancelled yet but I expect that it will be happening pretty soon

I already have a skills assessment from TRA valid since 2009

Skills assessments are only valid for 3 years. It doesn't matter what it says on the assessment itself - the 3 years is a DIBP ruling.

http://www.immi.gov.au/News/Pages/new-validity-requirement-skills-assessments.aspx New validity requirement for skills assessments from 1 July 2014

And you asked if you could work during the 90 days you have to look for another sponsor. I'm not sure if we've made it sufficiently clear that you can't unless you are still working for the 457 sponsor. It doesn't matter if the visa has not been cancelled - you are not allowed to work for any other employer until you are granted a new visa.

Skills assessments are only valid for 3 years. It doesn't matter what it says on the assessment itself - the 3 years is a DIBP ruling.

http://www.immi.gov.au/News/Pages/new-validity-requirement-skills-assessments.aspx New validity requirement for skills assessments from 1 July 2014

And you asked if you could work during the 90 days you have to look for another sponsor. I'm not sure if we've made it sufficiently clear that you can't unless you are still working for the 457 sponsor. It doesn't matter if the visa has not been cancelled - you are not allowed to work for any other employer until you are granted a new visa.

Thanks for pointing this out, I had no idea that the skills assessment is only valid for 3 years

Archived