Negotiation tips on removal quotes

hefbat

We've gotten 4 quotes for a 20ft container that all come in around 4000k door-to-door. Any ideas on how much we could reasonably get knocked off the price (company is paying for move, but we have to go with lowest quote)?

Cheers!

Mike

We've gotten 4 quotes for a 20ft container that all come in around 4000k door-to-door. Any ideas on how much we could reasonably get knocked off the price (company is paying for move, but we have to go with lowest quote)?

Cheers!

Mike

If you have a preference for one particular company, just tell them the price they have to beat. There is no point in trying to drive a hard bargain as you'll just find that they achieve it by underestimating volume and you'll pay for it later once they have the contract.

We've gotten 4 quotes for a 20ft container that all come in around 4000k door-to-door. Any ideas on how much we could reasonably get knocked off the price (company is paying for move, but we have to go with lowest quote)? Cheers! Mike
If your preferred company doesn't appear to be the lowest price then there are a few things you can do before presenting the quotes to your company. (I wrote a blog on negotiating with removal companies which can be found on google, but to summarise...) first.... 1) Check the quotes are like for like - volumes, service level, transit time, level of packing etc all contribute to costs so make sure you're getting exactly the same, if something is included that's not important to you that's a great place to start to lower the price, just ask the company to review their price given XYZ requirement is different. 2) Make sure your price comparisons include insurance and any additional costs. half a % insurance premium on a high value of goods can make a big difference to overall cost. Is there any period of storage involved and are there costs associated for that? are there any exclusions that might mean additional charges once you get to destination? Make sure the price you are comparing is a total all in price. If you've done this and your preferred company is more expensive then be ready to be open and transparent - go back and let them know you want to use them but they are £X more expensive and see what they can do. They might ask to see the other quote to confirm it's like for like first, but then they might make some suggestions on either how they can adapt their move plan to save some costs without cutting corners, some potential dates that might mean they can operate more cost effectively and pass on savings to you or simply offer to provide you with a goodwill discount because they would like to book your business. Hope this helps and that your company agrees your preferred mover!

Don't read it as advocating, for all she knows I have purchased insurance through the shipper. Some people clearly do, best to recommend people to check that as well if they do go with shipper insurance, isn't it.

Anyway, appreciate the advice by all. Given one shipper's written offer had me down for groupage when we agreed on the day he would give me a sole container quote - the advice to check even obvious things is the best advice!

Kirsty, All good stuff but re point 2 why are you still advocating purchasing insurance thru the remover when everybody else recommends using one of the independent insurance providers ?

It's a good and valid question :)

I'm not advocating either way... the choice is down to the shipper, there are pro's and cons of each company and each method which are totally up to you to evaluate and decide on. There are lots of things that vary that might make one policy better for you than the other based on your individual circumstances/possessions - from premiums to the extent of the cover, from the period you have to notify claims to the excess payable and any limits on claims....

I'm just saying factor insurance in to your overall cost comparisons, many people forget and only compare the initial shipping cost. This might be the difference between your company choosing your preferred mover or a cheaper option you're not comfortable with...

Archived