Travel Insurance for Australia Working Holiday

Tom30

Hi Everyone!

I have now booked flights and sorted out my visa I was wondering do most people take travel insurance out even with the medicare agreement .

It may end up been pretty expensive maybe £200-300 I have not looked into it that much though.

Any Feedback would be welcome!

Tom

Hi!! I looked into getting travel insurance and unless you have a return flight home not many cover you!! I did look at Alpha travel insurance and they had quoted me £105 for a full year and I have no previous medical conditions. I then realised that it would be pointless getting travel insurance as I don't have a return flight home and medicare covers you for most things!! For me personally with no existing conditions, there is no point in paying to get travel insurance when medicare covers you. Even if the worst happens they won't let you die!! :) For sports such as water sports / sky diving etc.. it may be worth just getting it for the day to cover you if you did die - then atleast your parents can fly your body home .... (sorry to be grim!!) ..

Hope this helps

Alix

You should definitely get travel insurance and if you want to qualify for a second WHV by farm work, make sure it covers manual labour. Medicare covers some things but what if you're in an accident and need to be repatriated? What if some last minute illness or injury means that you miss a non-refundable flight. I know of 2 people who have needed to be repatriated. One had injuries in plaster that meant that she could only fly in a larger business class seat. The other was in a stretcher and needed a special section of the aircraft and on board care. In both cases, their travel insurance covered everything.

Archived