HIGH SCHOOL COMPARISON - Aus/UK

Lizhawkes

Hi

I know Aus has, or had until recently, a (stupidly?!) different High School curriculum between the States.. and I have a relative who was involved in creating the Nationwide Curriculum and her opinion is that it is generally noooot great..

I have a 7yr old who is currently in an exemplary, wonderful PUBLIC school in the Hawkesbury area and I can't imagine better in the UK - in fact on a recent visit the closest comparable were Catholic and difficult to get into....BUT I miss the UK, and would like to go back to 'where I belong'... a big factor is schooling.

I have heard on the grapevine that, whilst primary schooling is considered better here - and I could hazard a guess that the greater emphasis on social skills and personal development, rather than the three 'R's' hot housing could be the reason for that - secondary schooling is better in the UK.

I work and study at an NSW Uni, and compared with my experience getting my first degree in the UK, the Uni system here leaves a LOT to be desired (is more like a business, the general academic level is much lower, there are fewer living away from home on campus so not having the same all-round Uni 'experience' and most students just do not seem to be engaged with or enjoying their learning - I'm an academic note taker over a wide range of degrees and units, and this seems to be global, apart from in science where students seem to be ever-so-slightly more interested).

The point is, I'm wondering if a poor secondary education contrinutes to this.

I really value education and want my daughter to have a good quality education. I'm unlikely to be able to afford a private school... does anyone have experiences/opions they could share?

Thank you !!

From speaking to my partner his secondary school experience seems a lot more enjoyable than mine was and there is a greater emphasis on soft skills than in the UK. I don't have kids but a friend's son is learning car mechanics which is probably more useful than most of the crap I learned at school. However, the history curriculum here is laughable compared the level of detail and topics I learned.

Having said that, I work with recent graduates and done are very intelligent and know stuff far more complex than I did on my degree so it goes to show Aussie degrees can be rigorous. I got a first class degree and had to get over 70% overall to get a first. Here you need around 80-85%%. My degree which was an honours degree was evaluated as being only the equivalent of an ordinary bachelors degree- damn cheek! Most Aussie degrees are not honours degrees so I would not call them equivalent.

I do do find that many Aussies are not so "worldly wise" as people from the UK, have less understanding of world history and culture but this might just reflect that in the UK i learned British and European history and French literature (in French!) for A Level which is not really relevant in Australia. Why would it? I work with lawyers who cannot even say legal terms correctly and have the nerve to correct my pronunciation. I have had my English corrected in the workplace in the UK and yet I am corrected quite often. I even had my French "corrected".

To finally answer your question, there is much in the Australian system which is better than the English one which is probably more rigorously academic. However, I have never used most of what I learned at school, and from my experience, GCSEs do not even compare to O levels.

I'm sure if your daughter has a thirst for knowledge and learning, she will do well in either system. In the workplace what matters most are your work attitude and skills, not your school qualifications or degree.

Edited by boganbear

I am a scientist and have mentored and trained a lot of new grads and find Australian grads very poor. Something I know a number of Australian born managers in my discipline also find - I know several who have only recruited UK grads for this reason.

Hi

That's interesting. And what I suspected could be the case....