Nurses and midwives - NMC registration and jobs

Us 6

Hi guys.

I am a midwife looking to go back to the UK (I trained here). My question is, can I apply for jobs prior to obtaining registration with the NMC?

The issue I have is that we will likely allow jobs to determine where we settle. If we wait until we get home and apply we will have to move again and I don't want to do that for the children.

TIA xx

Guest Chewitts

Hi TIA, I would doubt that you can apply without registration to the NMC as you would be applying for jobs that you are not officially qualified for as you are not on the register.

Registering with the NMC now states it takes approx 90 days

The rules on overseas nurses/midwives registering changed in October 14 and I don't know how easy it is now. I do know that you have to take an iELTS test (even if you are a british citizen and educated in the uk. You have to complete a competency test in both theory and practice.

Have you had a read of the NMC FAQ?

http://www.nmc-uk.org/Registration/Joining-the-register/Trained-outside-the-EU--EEA/Overseas-Registrations---Frequently-asked-questions/

Claire

Thanks. That seemed the logical answer to me too. However, there is a link for overseas applicants on the NHS careers site that said some employers may help you in gaining registration in your profession. Maybe I should contact the Trust directly.

Guest Chewitts

I am not sure what help they would give you but you cannot gain entry onto the NMC register whilst you are overseas as at least the practical part of the assessment must be undertaken in the uk.....

This is the contradiction that is confusing me. I don't need or expect help as I am 'eligible' for registration (providing I can pass the tests), but I was hoping for a glimmer of employment hope before leaving. Even if registration only takes 90 days, that's 90 days that I am in the UK in limbo with the children. Also, as aforementioned, I am trying to avoid another move with the children. They really have been through enough already. Especially the teens! I'm worried about heading to an area but not getting work.

Guest Chewitts

I'm not sure what else to say really......there is no harm in contacting trusts I guess but if you apply for any jobs you need to make it clear that you are not uk registered as to not do so is an offence. Also not sure if you would find a vacancy which they would then hold open for several months while you applied for your registration and with no guarantee that you would get it.

It sounds like if you are moving back to the uk you are going to have to bite the bullet and either decide where you want to live or decide that you will be willing to move for a job.

Hi all

I am a registered nurse and currently in Oz, we are moving sometime this year ( hopefully). I have managed to gain employment prior to getting registered with the NMC.

The employer has stated that they have offered me the post depending on registration and other security, OHS checks etc. I applied about three months ago with the NMC

the form has been returned twice as there were apparently errors or missing info on it so be careful. i have since received all the usual forms for starting a new job and see no problem starting when we get back. Although I'm a nurse so not sure if that makes it different.

Good Luck

hi Us 6,

I did apply officially through a NHS recruitment website. Although I was just checking out current vacancies at the time not really ready to apply but saw a great job. So as the managers email was attached to the advert I emailed him just to say hi and that I would be interested in working for him in the future as I would be moving back.

I had experience in the area but had never worked for them before. He replied back and said he would be interested to know more and thought I should apply. so a few months later and a video interview I got the job. They know that our move is a way off yet but are happy to wait till we are ready. They only problem I am worried about is the pay scale that I will return to. They told me that if you leave the NHS you automatically return to the bottom of your pay scale or banding. I've been qualified for over ten years and find this difficult to swallow. But they did say that you can appeal and as part of that process our need to justify why you think you deserve more money! But the NHS seems to me to be set up for over seas applications as they do recruit from abroad.

Good Luck x

Definitely worth a try Us6. I applied whilst on holiday in the UK back in November just for the interview experience really and got the job. They're holding it for me until I can get back in March/April. I'm in the process of re-registering with the NMC too.

On the payscale issue, surely they would give consideration to the amount of years worked in Australia just like Australian employers do?

• 2 weeks later...

Although they may say that you will drop to the bottom of the payscale i have found this is negotiable to some degree. The manager is often able to apply some discretion to your awarded pay point based on your level of experience and suitability for the job.

I worked in oz for 2 years and when i came back i had to renegotiate 2 pay points.

You can only ask!

Becs x

Archived