IELTS test for 189

Thevans15

Hi,

My husband needed the full 20 points. It was doable but with quite a lot of work. We paid £20ish for an extra online course and then worked through all of the exercises. You definitely need to put the practice in as the test has lots of trick questions and needs to be answered in a particular way. Not easy to get full marks, even with a university education!

I used the free on line test and got some from my migration agent. You need to do them under the test conditions to know how you do. I would strongly recommend you practise the different tests as they are quiet unique and although you may have English as a first language they are a little bizarre. If you master the format I am sure you will do OK. I needed at least an 8 for my visa so you may need to check what level you will need but as the previous threads say you would need to do the general, the academic test is for GPs, researchers or lectures, those that need to show a higher academic level.

Good luck.

Hi,

Purely, for immigration purposes you can attempt the General IELTS.

If your skill assessment body requires the Academic IELTS you could also do this separately and it will not affect your 189 application.

However, to be cost effective you could just sit the Academic IELTS and obtain a good band, which would satisfy both the immigration and skill assessment body's English requirement.

*Just be wary taking the General IELTS does not always guarantee you a better score because the raw score cut-offs are higher. For example the 8.0 reading cut-off for the Academic IELTS is normally around 35-36, however, for the General IELTS it is often around 37-38.

Archived