Can we keep a UK Bank Account?

Scots Lass

We are hoping to move to Australia on Parents Visa - but we will be pensioners!

We have a Final Salary Pension - so we will continue to have it paid into a UK bank account.

However looking at our bank website it seems that they do not allow non UK residents to hold a bank account?

Is this correct? Does anyone have a UK bank account still after moving out?

If you all ready have a UK bank account it is fine to keep it. I was told I could not change my address to an overseas address online but could do it over the phone. Plenty of people here still have bank accounts in the UK.

I was living overseas for 4 years with 2 active accounts in the UK... one with Smile and one with Citibank. I gave them my parents' address for correspondence but obviously not everyone can do this. So long as the account remains active, ie. there is money going in and out, there should be no problem unless your bank is particularly fussy.

The residency issue would be relevant for accounts such as an ISA though, which is only available to UK residents.

Actually there is very little correspondence required via post in these days of email, but it is essential to have a trusted address to which the bank can send things like replacement credit cards when they expire.

Archived