Electrical Project Engineer / Manager applying as an Electrician?

Alanlisa

Hi, has anyone successfully applied to vetassess as an electrician when working as a project engineer / manager? I know it's possible as I have spoken with vetassess directly about it and also with others who have passed. We're just starting to write the paper assessment but it would be good if I had something to compare it to [emoji4]<br/>

Yes, full apprenticeship completed 97, c&g's, nvq's, 2391, hnc electrical engineering. He has a ton of experience as a spark. [emoji5]

The only problem that might come up then is if he has been off the tools for too long and in a project Engineering/management role. My son is a sparkie and is just in the process of changing his job, there still appears to be plenty of work around as he only mentioned changing a couple of months ago and he got a new job over Christmas. He works FIFO and is going to a different company with a longer swing but more money. Mining experience or oil and gas would be helpful for sure.

I've recently passed the Electrcial vetassess assessment. I was worried too about having enough recent experience as I now work in a different role as an Operate Technician. I've been in this role for almost 3 years. I passed the paper assessment after providing references from enployers whilst employed as an electrcian and providing all qualifications, then as part of the practical they asked about experience in the last 5 years which I was able to provide evidence. How long is it since your partner worked as an electrcian?

Yeah I provided evidence of my apprenticeship and all evidence of employment as an Electrician since qualifying. I included my current role on my CV but didn't include any evidence as it wasn't related to the role of an electrician. I've since submitted my EOI and gained 10 points for the 7 years experience I had post apprenticeship, (Obviously not including my current role). Submitted my application now after being invited to apply.

I think this was the most stressful part of the visa upto date, was worried about not having enough experience, then worried about the practical. Passed that 1st time round after a load of revision. Let me know if you need anymore help.

Completed apprenticeship in 2005. I couldn't really include my role now as it's not related, but can't see any problems if he's a project engineer/manager in the electrical field. I would have included if this was the case. I work in Operations at a Powerstation. After my apprenticeship I went backpacking for a year, did some work as a spark in Oz. Included this on my CV although didn't have any evidence of payment. From 2006 - 2012 I was self employed. This proved to be a bit of a nitemare In regards to references etc, as I worked all over the place. But managed to provide references from companies who I sub contracted too. I went through an agent in the end as it wasn't that straight forward for me.

My husband completed his in 1998 so hopefully will get the 15 points. He also has a period where he was self employed. I think we will need to approach some companies for references. His dad still runs the business so that shouldn't be too difficult. Thanks for your comments. How long ago did you submit your eoi?

Which year did you complete your apprenticeship? His role now is still very related to being an electrician so we will include his current role. We're relying on him receiving 15 points for experience.

Take care with this. You can only claim points for experience within the last 10 years and can only claim experience in your nominated occupation or in a 'closely related' occupation. The term 'closely related' is clearly defined as being experience gained in an occupation in the same ANZSCO Unit Group. If he has been working as an Electrical Engineer/Manager, that may not qualify. A good RMA would be able to guide you on that particular point. Here's a link to the ANZSCO page on the Electricians Unit Group.

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Previousproducts/7C25A5DF55E0C7B2CA2571E2008354EE?opendocument

If there is any doubt whatsoever about claiming points for any period or experience, it would be far better to do IELTS to make up any points discrepancy - that should be done before you submit an EOI.

The practical consisted of a fairly basic installation. Similar to the 1 done in the AM2, to pass UK apprenticeship. I'd say easier though. Also had to do a safe isolation on a heater. This is to be done the Ozzie way though, so just a case of learning the process. Next was the wiring of a DOL starter motor. Lastly, there was the theory part. Requires some revision, but wasn't too bad.

Archived