Anyone used a company called freespirit?

Guest vlermouse

Guest vlermouse

Hi,

I've heard about a company called freespirit that acts as your business sponsor on behalf of companies and helps you to get a good salary package.

Other than their website I can't seem to find much about them on the net.

Has anyone used them? Are they legit? They recommend using to package your salary even if you find your own job - does this really benefit me? What sort of cost is involved - they are a bit vague about that?

Any experiences that you could share would be welcome.

Thanks

Cat

Guest Gollywobbler

HI Cat

Be careful. Lots of so-called recruitment agencies (which is what they are, regardless of how they package themselves) are absolute abominations, I have read.

Because they are your sponsor and you therefore can't stay in Australia without their notional support (not without great difficulty, anyway) you are totally in their clutches once you arrive. There are allegations that they have recruited loads of workers from all over the world, but once the workers arrive they are being paid less than the legal minimum wage. The employers are as unscrupulous as the agencies according to the Australian Press, and DIMA is not averse to cancelling the odd visa instead of punishing the real culprit, the civil service being what it is. They did shut down a company that was ripping Chinese workers off recently, but they cancelled the visa of at least one of the Chinese workers.

Treat all these promises of assiatance towards a wonderful new life with a bucket of salt, I suggest. What's in it for them with this sudden promise of rapacious philanthropy towards a complete stranger?

I reckon that you would be very much safer in the hands of a reputable and registered Migration Agent such as Phil Olsen or Alan Collett, both of whom post on here. They are in touch with reputable employers in Oz, and are sometimes retained by them to look for candidates of the right calibre. They see what happens when the Australian Dream goes wrong, and the good ones don't bullshit you with the notion that it can't happen.

The Migration Agent has no intention of becoming your sponsor, so he doesn't have to try to seduce you into believing that he can offer you a dream ticket. A good Migration Agent is more likely to tell you about the price of a house in the part of Australia you might be considering, tell you the un-inflated truth about the likely wages in your particular field, and generally ensure that your eyes are wide open to the potential pitfalls as well as the pleasures, I suggest.

Good luck with your plans but DO be wary of people promising masses of upside with absolutely no downside. That deal does not exist.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest Phil Olsen

Hi Cat

plesae email me your contact number and i will talk to you about freespirit.

In the meantime, you may wish to search the net for their background as i am sure there may be a lot of press about them.

Regards

Guest Gollywobbler

Morning, Cat & Phil

Cat, I'd never heard of freespirit but I've just Googled it for you. I found two articles, as follows:

http://workers.labor.net.au/226/news4_slavery.html

http://workers.labor.net.au/features/200405/b_tradeunion_hidden.html

Do you think that the people you have been looking at could be the same ones and that they have somehow resurrected themselves?

Be wary, Cat

Gill

Archived