First port of entry - customs

Petkula73

Hi

Quick one if anyone knows....

If you fly in from Abu Dhabi to Melbourne via Perth, do you need to clear customs in Perth (i.e. collect luggage, declare what you are bringing in, then recheck bags back in)?

We've always flown direct, but we have visitors over Xmas who are taking this route as they paid about 800 quid each on Etihad...

Try thinking about it

Dont think there is any need for the sarcasm, this is supposed to be a forum to help people! If you don't know then you ask some people who do. If you have nothing informative or nice to say then you should not say anything at all.

You normally clear customs and immigration at your first point of entry, Perth, in this case. However, why not ring Etihad and make sure.

When I have flown into UK through one airport and then onto another, I have always cleared immigration at the first airport

do you need to clear customs in Perth (i.e. collect luggage, declare what you are bringing in, then recheck bags back in)?

Yes they will need to clear customs in Perth.

I assume their domestic connection is on Virgin Australia? It's probably more of a question for them if they have a bag drop in the international terminal for connecting domestic flights. I'm going to guess the answer is probably no, in which case your friends and their bags will need to take a bus to the domestic terminal...takes about 15 mins according to the info here.

http://www.virginaustralia.com/uk/en/experience/at-the-airport/airport-guides/australia/perth/

There are international flights which have an intermediary and final destination in Australia where you do not disembark and enter the country and in fact the aircraft arrives at both airports international terminal, thus the question isn't as silly as it may seem to some. I am not sure if this is the case for this Etihad flight, does the flight for Perth-Melbourne have a different flight number to the Abu Dhabi-Perth? If so then Perth is definitely the port of entry and will require entering/formalities, collecting bags and the loooong shuttle bus from international to domestic terminal.

Archived