Psychology skills assessment APS

Lily24

Hi everyone,

I'm just new to this so hope someone can help. Just wondering has anyone gained a positive skills assessment with a degree and masters from the UK? I have a degree and two masters and I'm wondering if I am eligible for a skills assessment for migration visa 189.

Also, do you have to have a positive skills assessment before you can gain registration as a psychologist in Australia?

I would appreciate any information on this,

No, you can apply for registration without a positive skills assessment - whether you can apply without actually living and working in Australia though I don't know.

If you were in Australia on another visa (partner visa or something like that) then you wouldn't need to do the skills assessment.

It's not so easy for English psychologists to pass a skills assessment as 6 years education is required (4 year degree plus two year masters) as most psychology degrees in England are 3 years. Not sure if the fact you have two masters may help.

I know I'm not helping much here but hopefully bumping your post up means someone else will.

@Quoll - can you help here? I know the AHPRA rules on registration changed recently so I don't know how up to date you are.

Edited to add - you don't mention experience, that will obviously be critical for a skills assessment and registration.

I'm out of the AHPRA loop I'm very pleased to say - I'm guessing that it rather depends on the focus of the two masters as to whether AHPRA will welcome you with open arms. They have, in the past, considered a UK honours degree to be equivalent to an Aus honours degree but it's always a hard fought issue. Now there's the exam and the supervised practice before unconditional registration so that actually getting your foot in any door is getting much harder as employers really aren't keen on the expense of an unconditional practitioner. Best thing is to read the myriad AHPRA documentation and see how your qualifications stack up. Theres not much point in getting registered, however, if you can't get a visa.

I'm out of the AHPRA loop I'm very pleased to say - I'm guessing that it rather depends on the focus of the two masters as to whether AHPRA will welcome you with open arms. They have, in the past, considered a UK honours degree to be equivalent to an Aus honours degree but it's always a hard fought issue. Now there's the exam and the supervised practice before unconditional registration so that actually getting your foot in any door is getting much harder as employers really aren't keen on the expense of an unconditional practitioner. Best thing is to read the myriad AHPRA documentation and see how your qualifications stack up. Theres not much point in getting registered, however, if you can't get a visa.

If you're registered my understanding is you don't need to do a skills assessment for migration - effectively the registration IS the skills assessment so it kills two birds with one stone.

Guest guest30085

Anyone with international qualifications or experience needs to be assessed by APS before you can apply for registration with AHPRA. I believe that even those who are fully chartered are still required to complete 3 months of supervision and sit the national exam. There was a thread running, I will try to find it and add it below.

There's some comments on the below thread regarding the transitional program, I thought I'd seen another thread but can only

find this one

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/148886-any-uk-clinical-psychologists-out-there-4.html.

There is another on BE but not much more info.

I imagine that if you were in Aus on another visa you could apply for registration but AHPRA could well refer back to APS for clarification on equivalence

Hi,

It depends if you are a fully registered/chartered psychologist in the UK as an undergrad and masters doesn't get you registered in the UK like it does in Australia. Unless you can show that you were a fully registered psychologist in the UK you won't get a positive skills assessment for migration as a psychologist. To get registered with AHPRA you also need to have an assessment of your qualifications conpleted by the APS. I have a UK undergrad and a masters and I am having to do a 2 year internship program in Australia to be registered but I was a registered psychologist in the UK either. If you are a psychologist and get a positive skills assessment you will be eligible for migration but you won't get unconditional registration with ahpra until you do a 3 month transisitional program and sit the psychology exam. Hope that helps! AHPRA are not easy!

Good luck, Amy

Hi guys,

I'm not sure if this is the best treat to ask this, but here it goes. I'm a Brazilian clinical psychologist, fully registered with APRHA and working with a 457 in Melbourne since May. My manager already apply for nomination to the 186 (Direct Entry) but I'm not sure if I need a skills assessment with APS for migration proposes if I'm already fully registered and working in the field.

Every time I read the immi website I have a different opinion and now, I'm officially lost. This forum has being amazing throughout my journey and helped me a lot during the 8 month waiting for the 457 to be approved (although the visa part only took 2 weeks!!)

Does anyone know the answer for my sorrows? I'm trying to avoid doing the IELTS at all costs... Speaking of costs, being assessed by APS will mean at least 1400 dollars add to visa costs.

Cheers.

Hi psych,

I'm pretty sure if you are going direct entry then you need a positive skills assessment from the APS. The APS is the only one that immigration will accept. Having full registration with AHPRA will support your application to the APS but it will not be acceptable for immigration purposes (this is what I was advised when first looking into applying).

Good luck!

• 3 months later...

Hi all

Can any one offer any advise? I am a UK chartered psychologist. I am looking to migrate to Australia on the skilled nominated visa. I am pretty sure that I will meet requirements for a positive skilled assessment with the APS but what I can't get clarity on (from immigration or the APS) is whether I need registration with APRAH in order to be granted a visa. However, I can't get registered until I have completed the 3 months transition program. If this is the cases then it seems a real catch 22. Has anyone been granted a 189 visa without APRAH registration? Would really appreciate any advice? Cheers Max

Archived