Any Registered Learning Disability Nurses working in QLD?????

Sparkeltastic

hello.

Please can can anyone tell me if Registered LD nurses can find work in Oz? I have to show that there are RNLD nursing opportunities in QLD as part of my application for state sponsorship! (visa 190)

So far I am struggling to find anything specific in a intellectual Disability or Developmental Disability field.

Any advice welcome.

thanks

I am RNLD and have been recently registered (last week) by AHPRA as a registered nurse with a notation "solely qualified in the area of disability nursing" in Melbourne not sure about QLD. There are no jobs here for disability nurses even though they register us. No go with mental health as job vacancies are asking for a mental health qualification.

Hi Ozmaniac. I need 5 points that state sponsorship would give me as I am 41 and lose many points for being so old...lol!

Hi Shirt75. It is great to hear AHPRA registered you as the posts on here about them are absolutely terrible! What do you plan to do for work? I have heard the Not for profit sector is huge in Oz so maybe work available with people with LD (Intellectual Disabilities) but prob not as a qualified nurse. I am researching like mad at the moment!

Yes, it gets much harder as you get older but you probably have experience to make up for lower age points to some extent. Are you claiming the maximum 20 points for English? If not, that's eminently doable with plenty of preparation before the test. I'm asking because if you can manage 60 points without state sponsorship, a 189 is a better option than a 190, particularly if employment opportunities seem to be limited in the state that is offering sponsorship.

Hi Sparkeltastic I applied to AHPRA in July and as RN dip in LD I didnt think I had any chance but as I have a top up degree in mental health studies (LD) I think that helped. Like you said yes, you can work as a support worker (a lot of vacancies) and if lucky as a project manager, outreach worker or coordinator for a residential, respite unit, day centre just like UK with not for profit organisations. There are a lot of those. There is no use for the nurse part but you can use your experience. I have been working as a support worker while waiting for my registration and though I am happy I got my registration I feel deflated that after all those years of training and dealing with with AHPRA I might not be able to use it here after all. I would be interested in mental health nursing so will keep looking into that. Sorry forgot to mention I'm already in OZ on a partner visa.

Edited by Shirt75

Yes, it gets much harder as you get older but you probably have experience to make up for lower age points to some extent. Are you claiming the maximum 20 points for English? If not, that's eminently doable with plenty of preparation before the test. I'm asking because if you can manage 60 points without state sponsorship, a 189 is a better option than a 190, particularly if employment opportunities seem to be limited in the state that is offering sponsorship.[/quote

hi oz maniac.

I managed the full 20 points for English which was great news. But I also lose points because I have taken 3 periods of maternity leave and reduced to part time hours which means I get less points for work experience! However good news is Our immigration agent has officially lodged our EOI today so let's wait and see what happens. Fingers crossed! :rolleyes:

Hi Sparkeltastic I applied to AHPRA in July and as RN dip in LD I didnt think I had any chance but as I have a top up degree in mental health studies (LD) I think that helped. Like you said yes, you can work as a support worker (a lot of vacancies) and if lucky as a project manager, outreach worker or coordinator for a residential, respite unit, day centre just like UK with not for profit organisations. There are a lot of those. There is no use for the nurse part but you can use your experience. I have been working as a support worker while waiting for my registration and though I am happy I got my registration I feel deflated that after all those years of training and dealing with with AHPRA I might not be able to use it here after all. I would be interested in mental health nursing so will keep looking into that. Sorry forgot to mention I'm already in OZ on a partner visa.

Hi Shirt75. Thanks for telling me about your situation. I think it sounds as though your best bet at nursing in Oz is MH but at least you have that option rather than no nursing opportunities at all. It is such a shame that we can't be practice as LD nurses. But I suppose the sun and beaches might make up for it? My friend moved to Brisbane in June 2014 and is an LD nurse and she is struggling to find work, she is currently working at Movie world! We lodged our EOI now so we will just have to wait and see what happens!