Citizenship appliction done

NBird

We lodged our application for citizenship at the weekend. We have been here for 4 years now and as one of our boys was born here we think its important that the whole family has dual citizenship. We expected to get the application done sooner but needed to wait for our British Police check first. I will be happy when we get our citizenship, even though we are going home it feels right that both our children have the same opportunities. I don't plan on ping ponging but then I imagine nobody does! I feel as though I've been hanging on forever some days - from making our decision to return home we will have hung on another 2 years in total!

We got ours before leaving, I know some people think it;s wrong but the way I looked at it I was certain when we left for Australia it was for good and I was wrong so how could I be certain we were leaving Australia for good. I also felt that despite my son's declared feelings about Australia as an adult his memories would be warmer (in reality he had a great life there, went to a great school and had lots of friends) and he may want to return. It would even give him options in the face of economic difficulties or environmental disasters, even wars etc.

The ceremony was a weird experience & despite our decision i feel proud of my Aussie passport, hard to fathom really!

We lodged our application for citizenship at the weekend. We have been here for 4 years now and as one of our boys was born here we think its important that the whole family has dual citizenship. We expected to get the application done sooner but needed to wait for our British Police check first. I will be happy when we get our citizenship, even though we are going home it feels right that both our children have the same opportunities. I don't plan on ping ponging but then I imagine nobody does! I feel as though I've been hanging on forever some days - from making our decision to return home we will have hung on another 2 years in total!

Ha Ha! you never know.... and your kids will have more options open for them if they decide to pop down under in the future. I feel the same at the moment, but am glad I have citizenship as I think my eldest will want to stay here at least for the short term

I'm proud of my Aussie passport too and was quite emotional at the ceremony. It's simply not as black and white as some PIO like to pretend.

Congrats on getting your application in @Northern Bird and for hanging in those extra two years! I think it's a good idea for everyone in the family to share the same citizenships, just in case.

• 2 weeks later...

We're doing the same. I had my test last week and hubby has his tomorrow, the guy at the office said we were looking at maybe getting our ceremony in March, so once we have that date we'll be able to book our flights home (i.e. UK). My SIL was the same "why bother if you're not intending to go back", but our Son is 15 months old and who knows when he's older if he wants to move here with a family of his own.

Archived