The spreadsheet is out and I need YOUR help.......please x x x

adele244

Thanks for all your replies. I have done a spreadsheet, (sorry it is hard to copy it on here) but below is what I have worked out. Could you please let me know if I have grossly under estimated anything, or completely missed something vital!!!! Thanks for looking x x x x

WEEKLY - Worked out on an annual salary of $55,000

Income 1,057.69

CentreLink 269

Tax on wages -192.31

Income Remaining 1,326.69

Rent -400

Elec -30.77

Gas -19.23

Car Ins -34.62

Contents Insurance -5.77

Fuel -50

Internet & Phone -16.15

Water -11.54

Groceries -150

Car Rego? -15.38

SPENDS / SAVINGS AUD 593.23

Sorry guys, I dropped a clanger! The spreadsheet didn't minus the tax on the wage (I thought it was looking pretty good!!) Here is the correct one.

Income 1,057.69

CentreLink 269

Tax on wages -192.31

Income Remaining 1,134.48

Rent -400

Elec -30.77

Gas -19.23

Car Ins -34.62

Contents Insurance -5.77

Fuel -50

Internet & Phone -16.15

Water -11.54

Groceries -150

Car Rego? -15.38

SPENDS / SAVINGS AUD 400.92

In your opinion would this be "do able"?

Oops my bad obvious when you look at the rental figure!

even so times everything by 2.2 to get a rough idea. Exchange rates vary but this reflects a rough cost of living comparison. I did this with all my Costa from the UK and it came to around 2.3/4 for a similar lifestyle here in Adelaide. Probably more in reality as we chose to rent in a very expensive suburb.

so if you manage on £25,000 now then €55,000 would feel about the same. Some things are cheaper like sports events and meals out and some more expensive like Theatre and schools.

Thanks so much for that info Rammygirl! In that case if I work it out with your ratio, I would need slightly more on the groceries budget, I was simply doubling up.

I will bear that in mind from now, thank you for that informative piece of information. We would have loved Adelaide but are starting to get slightly nervous about the lack of available jobs going in that area (or so I keep hearing on this Forum) :sad: Once again thanks x

After living in Australia for two years I have to say that budgets made in England go out the window when you arrive. I would say $400 in rent will not get much and be mindful that you will want to move into a good catchment area to be able to get a place in a good reputable school. I have have just paid our High school resources bill for two children that came to $800 and now the government have withdrawn laptop support that means we need more money for laptops. Prescriptions are also not free for children over here so if anyone has a regular prescription you'll need to pay for these too. You'll need a contingency fund in case the car goes wrong or white goods that become faulty, I'd say $150 for shopping each week is going to be a hard budget to stick too even if you shop in Aldi. I'm good with food budgeting but I can't manage to get my shopping bill under $180. You'll notice a real difference in price and choice over here, it's certainly not like Tescos. Dental fees are very high so best hope any children you have don't need braces because that will set you back $6000.($7500 in our case) We live in Queensland and they do have a yearly dental voucher for children that should cover the basics but not orthodontists. I think in all honesty we wouldn't be able to survive on $55,000. We have two children age 14 and 11.

Archived