do i need a resident return visa?

james81

I moved to australia back in 2007 from the UK and have lived here since then. I had my permanent residence visa accepted last September. I am wanting to nip back to the UK at xmas for just over 2 weeks as I havent been back there in 5 years. Will I need the $345 dollar resident return visa? If so, I wish id pulled my finger out and got my citizenship sorted! I was on a cruise in September and went to a few different countries then. Maybe I needed a resident return visa then to!

False Alarm, I have just checked my permanent residence acceptance and all is good. It says my permanent residence is valid for 5 years of travel from the date of grant. After that time you will need a resident return visa. phew!

Permanent resident visas normally have a 5 year travel component so, if granted only a year ago, you are fine. I would do your citizenship when you can though as it simply gives more flexibility and no visa issues. It is not like doing a visa application - much simpler. I did mine in 5 minutes one Sunday afternoon after a couple too many wines. Costs a few hundred, rather than the thousands.

Archived