Shipping our pet dog to Sydney

Captain Roberto

The price is the price I'm afraid and its not cheap.

put it this way, for your dog travelling in the hold in a cage, you could be coffing fine wine and top notch food in first class.

but, yes some shippers charge a lot more that others, for the same end product, ie getting your dog to Oz.

i did a fair bit of research into this, cos I needed to fly two labs here. I went with golden arrow, they were considerable cheaper, than the others.

and when we ran into problems, eg british airways, code sharing with another airline, and then Perth quarantine , where they were booked closing down due to bushfires at the last minute, everything got sorted, we were already here, but it still wasnt any dramas, we discussed alternatives on the phone, and they sorted it.

tbh, now I know the process, the first questions I would ask, is, who are they flying with, where us the stopover, what facilities are there?? Your pooch needs to be looked after.

Hey Matthew

First and key thing to do is to get the rabies work started as that holds so many people up and ends up adding kennelling expenses in UK. Rabies vaccination and then rabies blood sample at least 6 months before the flight.

When do you want to go?

Pet shippers tend to charge the same for the flight ticket and the crate, it is the add ons which make some seem expensive or not - some include all fees and that will be the total price, some dont and then you end up paying your vets for this and that, paying someone to bring your dog to the airport. So key thing is check the quotes thoroughly for what is included and what is not and that way you can get a full and proper cost. For example, many pet shippers will give you a price for the import permit and then you have to pay your vet £40-£50 to fill out the RNATT declaration.

We normally beat Golden Arrow prices on a like for like basis, so when you get that feel very welcome to send it over and we can see what we can do - bob@petairuk.com

Any other questions in the meantime, pop them over, but if you plan to go in the next 2 years then get Lola to the vets for a rabies vaccination.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Bob, I just wanted to also add how impressed I have been with sarah who has been dealing with all my enquiries in regards to my furbaby 'Colin' the staffy. Through her advice he has already had is rabies jab and now booked in for blood test the day before I fly. My partner is staying in the uk until he can come out, but yes, if I had realised before how long the rabies blood test could hold it up (I would have enquired with you guys a lot sooner). Not booked with you yet, but after having many quotes, you guys will get it and I don't mind saying it is because of how nicely I have been dealt with and the fact that you guys recognise how important he is to me!! simple things like the header of the email: Colin to Sydney - as opposed to: your dog!

Sad, but working in hospitality and customer service, these things mean alot so my 'baby' will be being entrusted to you in the near future!! Thanks again!

Archived